Trying to stop straight!

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
BJB

Re: Trying to stop straight!

Post by BJB »

Rocket989 wrote:Hey Bruce - Did the PB & MB pedals use the same pivot point location? In many (most?) cars of that era the pedals were different!
I believe that they were the same pedal. As the discs were factory boosted, I think Ford OZ saw no reason to make many types. ( they were real tight arses back then...) :mrgreen:

In '73 when I got my first Falcon ( '65) they had 9" drums all round. Un boosted. I found a donor Fairmont model and bolted the discs and booster onto my car without changing over the brake pedal box.
My current Falcon, being the '66 Fairmont model had factory boosted discs and has the same hard unresponsive pedal feel when there is no boost being provided ( ie engine stopped).

That does raise the point that I may explore with my Aussie colleagues on a local forum whether there was a different pedal assembly, however I have never seen or heard of the difference. I do have a pedal box from a manual drum brake Falcon utility ( read Ranchero ) in the shed. I wonder if the differences if any are noticeable ??

PS I've since swapped the 4 lug brake rotors and calipers from the car to those from a '67 Fairlane in order to obtain 5 lug . The V8 rotors are slightly larger in diameter but they are thicker with better calipers. Still two opposing pistons.
https://imgur.com/2do2F5S
cheers

Bruce

PS I checked on the OZ forum and the parts catalogue has the same pedal box for the entire '60 to '66 Ford falcon range . Our discs were always boosted. If un-boosted then perhaps a different pivot point.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Fred, I have a pair of 65 spindles I won't be using. Let me know if you want them.

I tried using the PM system, but it kept saying that Sassy didn't exist as a user!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Red it is case sensitive ,& Fred spells it with all capitol letters (SASSY),so if you didn't do that it was the problem.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

YESS!! I'm in on the spindles!

on the member list SASSY is all upper case, maybe thats why.
I look forward to a PM
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

You can also click the "PM" button over on the right on someones post to send a private message to them.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Here's a good pic I found on the Interwebz. I remember noting a difference when looking at parts for the 64.5 'Stang I had. I'm pretty sure the Comet has a marking on the brake pedal arm where it would have been drilled & pivot stud pressed had it come with power brakes.

'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

I believe there’s a dimple at the pin location that isn’t used on the pedal.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

PM sent Fred. I think I was putting the message subject in the To: space. That'll teach me for not paying attention.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Received the master cylinder (thanks for the recommendation Rocket) and the adj, proportioning valve today. So after this weekend when the granddaughters(and their parents) are gone I'll throw this stuff in!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well after installing all them parts it stops straight!!!
Might still have a little air in the line though as the pedal doesn't hit hard.
I started by putting all the pressure I could in the back brakes and skidding the rear tires.
Then rotated the proportioning valve to add front pressure and tested by locking the wheels on a gravel surface.
Once happy that all wheels were locking at the same time I tested on pavement.
At about 20 mph I pounded the brakes HARD! Easy full lockup and straight,, happy.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right on Fred!! :D :D :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)