overdrive trans

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
smithhe

overdrive trans

Post by smithhe »

was wondering if anyone has swapped a AODE or 4R70W into a 64 comet and if so how difficult was it and did it fit good, I am looking to do this swap and would love to hear any tips or advice anyone has.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

vicegrip

Re: overdrive trans

Post by vicegrip »

I have a car(not a Comet),non computer,with a 4R70W. It works great but here's my observations....4R is always going to be better than AODE.If you want auto shift,add $800 for the controller for either trans to the tab. A 98 or newer is best but you need a core from a 5.0 which can be tough to find. V6 will fit but you need to mod the intermediate to strengthen it up.Almost all are mod motor,won't work with a SBF. If I had to do it again,I think I would go with the AOD.The 4R controller is too complicated for my taste but works good once you figure it out.If you are going in an older Comet,some tunnel work will be needed but not extreme. You will have to figure out some kind of trans cross member. Guys are running some big HP with a properly built AOD if that is your concern.

tomb22

Re: overdrive trans

Post by tomb22 »

I installed a AOD in a 65 behind a 89 302 HO. Been working great. I took a AOD case and installed 4R70W parts for the strength. You need to get a 4R70W out of a 93 Lincoln in order to get the output shaft with 2 holes in it for the mechanical governor. I got a valve body from Lentech and a special converter they made to use both input shafts at the same time for strength. You also use the tail piece of the 4R70W.
Check out Lentech on line
I didn't have to message the tunnel either.
Tom
tomb's 65