Steering shaft interchangeability ?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
SASSY

Steering shaft interchangeability ?

Post by SASSY »

Does anyone know if a steering shaft from a 1.125 box will work in a 1inch steering box?
I have modified my 1.125 shaft and would like to keep it. Go to a 1" box and be able to add quick steer components to it.
Thanks for any input.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

bigdan

Re: Steering shaft interchangeability ?

Post by bigdan »

Sassy - I can't claim to know for sure, but I've had several 64 and 65 projects over the years and the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the gear box was the same, at least columns and steering wheels would swap. That being said, I would think it might be possible, but you might have to swap the ball-drive-worm-gear thingamajig on the shaft also, depending on tooth engagement. Curious to see what you find out.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I agree with Dan Fred. I think the only problem that you could run in to is if one was a different ratio, but I'm sure you'll know by inspecting the parts of each one after disassembly.
SASSY wrote: I have modified my 1.125 shaft and would like to keep it.
Fred

this statement is the part I dont understand though.maybe i'm reading wrong or you worded it wrong. because the 1.125 shaft is what needs to be changed to a 1'' shaft to go with the quick steer kit, since it wont fit in the 1'' hole of the QS pitman arm which only comes with a 1'' hole.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote: this statement is the part I dont understand though.maybe i'm reading wrong or you worded it wrong. because the 1.125 shaft is what needs to be changed to a 1'' shaft to go with the quick steer kit, since it wont fit in the 1'' hole of the QS pitman arm which only comes with a 1'' hole.
Sorry my mistake, I want to keep my steering shaft not the sector shaft from my 1.125 box and in stall the steering shaft in a 1" box.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You've modified your current steering shaft for your EPS installation, right?
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:You've modified your current steering shaft for your EPS installation, right?
Jim
Yes, it's only about a foot long with the a fitting on the high end for the bottom of the electric assist.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

From the what I’ve seen the sector shaft is the same except for the threaded end (in same ratio as noted) so it should work.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)