Sassy's Steering

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Lip Ripper

Re: Sassy's Steering

Post by Lip Ripper »

I think my roller perches are Drake too. And if you're one like myself that doesn't always read directions on simple things, they come greased and it says not to add any when new.

Here's a video I did on the Drake strut rods.

https://youtu.be/5KCcxyko7UQ
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:Also roller spring perches, gonna use this tutorial I think.
/RollerSpringPerch/https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/12index.php
Fred, can you check that link address again? I can't find it on the fordmuscle.com site. :?
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
SASSY wrote:Also roller spring perches, gonna use this tutorial I think.
/RollerSpringPerch/https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/12index.php
Fred, can you check that link address again? I can't find it on the fordmuscle.com site. :?
Jim
https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/200 ... /index.php
Better?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah, that's more gooder! Thanks!
Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Finished up the changes to the spindles discussed earlier.
The stock 63-4 V8 spindle is on the right. on the left is my modded one. It has a upper balljoint change I did 15 plus years ago and now the tierod mount is lower like a C5 spindle but also 1 inch closer to the balljoint to quicken the steering some.
I have started the roller spring perches and will also do adjustable strut rods.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

loman

Post by loman »

Fred, did you buy the roller perch kit from Opentracker or someone else?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Loman, plan to make them.
Few bearings and a piece of tubing, the god of my tools wouldn't take to kindly to seeing those show up in the garage and they had not been involved in hacking them together,, :shock: lol
Frec

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

[quote="SASSY"]Hey Loman, plan to make them.
Few bearings and a piece of tubing,

Fred,
I fabricated adjustable strut rods for my ‘64 and also converted the lower control arms to spherical bearings. The upper control arms have been eliminated so roller spring perches are not needed.
Jim

Image Image
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes A/FX I plan to make my own adj strut rods too. Think I'll just drill a hole through the bracket though. Maybe reinforce the bracket but probably won't use the original mount hole.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

My thought for adding the spherical ends on the lower control arms is that if you adjust the struts and the rubber sleeve is still in the lower control arm you will putting stress on the sleeve and the rubber. A few degrees might not affect it but anything more will bind the pivot. I have full movement both up and down and sideways so there is zero bind and smooth action. The strut rods mount like the originals but I machined a steel ring to fit where the rubber donut mounted. The 3/4” Hiem joint is the pivot, the adjustment is made with the sleeve that has R.H. And L.H. threads. Everything is mounted with grade 8 hardware.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim is right about the rubber bushings. I could feel mine getting in a bind,getting tighter the more I tightened the strutrod. but the tire touched the fender in the front so I had to back it off & I could feel it loosen back up as I did.
but Fred you could go a step further & make your LCAs adjustable.
I noticed this site is out of stock but I think you would want to make them anyway if you went that route. so here is some pics,thats all you need Fred! :lol:
https://www.pacificthunderperformance.c ... 7155004805
Roy always said he made his adjustable, & if you look at pics of him doing the wheelstands coming off the line at the track you can see them & they resemble these a lot!
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Jim, ya I was looking at the pic of your lowers,,,, can see something has to change on mine too.
Thanks for the link Johno. Ya just let me stand in the back of the room, I'll catch on to what's going on :lol:

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:Hey Jim, ya I was looking at the pic of your lowers,,,, can see something has to change on mine too.
Thanks for the link Johno. Ya just let me stand in the back of the room, I'll catch on to what's going on :lol:
I also boxed the bottom of the lower control arms. The plate goes under the arm then wraps around the spherical bearing, this makes the arm very strong and prevents twisting. I tig welded everything. The car is now. sitting on its wheels and everything works well through the suspension travel. (At both ends)
Jim

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I just ordered complete roller front end for my 65 Cyclone from opentracker racing.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Barry you should have a build thread! Sounds like your getting all the good stuff.
Fred