wheel bearing torque

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

wheel bearing torque

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I have upgraded the hubs on my TCI front suspension from the standard steel to Wilwood aluminum Hubs
any idea what the wheel nut torque should be ? I have seen a range from 15-25 ft lbs original manual says 15-18
I seem to remember from high school automotive we spun them and torqued them up to 25 and then backed them off 1 slot on the castellated nut.
what do you pros do? BTW TCI never answered my email form months ago or any of the other emails for that matter and their phone tech line is closed for thanksgiving

SASSY

Re: wheel bearing torque

Post by SASSY »

If they're new I tighten till the wheel stops abruptly, that is to say just past a free wheel stop and check after a drive.
If just inspection and/ or regrease till snug and a bit past, works for me, makes sence to me.
Hard to explain but for me it's must a feel. Never lost a front wheel bearing yet driving old junk to pavement circle track cars.
Actually I think if you have a bit of grease in there and a cotter pin on the nut, your good :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about