fuel injection and tank vent

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

fuel injection and tank vent

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Somewhere on here has been mention of gas fumes in garages etc and perhaps a carbon canisters as a solution .I don't want to rehash it if its been covered but I cant find it.
Reason being
Now that I am going with a Aeromotive in tank fuel pump and Fitech FI I will have to have a return line back to the tank which I am sure will produce a lot more vapour. I doubt the vented filler cap will be adequate
and now I am working on brackets for the 2 fuel lines etc underneath ,running the vent is the next logical step
can someone point me to the posts?

The Rear wheel well is about the only place I can think of that is external and higher than the fill to mount a vent or maybe I can use a carbon canister underneath to trap fumes both running and when stopped. I dunno I live on the wet coast so preventing the ingress of water and what-not is also a consideration.
your thoughts?
anyone else with fuel injection and return just relying on the vented cap?

Kingspeedy2

Re: fuel injection and tank vent

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

As per usual I make a post and I found something online after the fact .There is a the 11 Much fuel vapor canister (actually a vapor liquid separator) that can go In your trunk with an external vent on the underside protected from debris with a sintered bronze filter . pricey starting at $279 https://www.iimuch.com/ there are probably other types out there.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey King I struggled with that prob for a while! Ended up drilling a 1/8 inch hole in the cap!! Vented cap that I had let air in but not out. I would stop for gas and the pressure was so high I had to stand aside when I took the cap off then walk across the parking lot to retrieve it :roll: ( not really but U get the picture :mrgreen: )
I 'spose the tank vent could exit in the gas door area. I thought at one time I would tap one into the filler tube and exit it in the gas door area but,,, the hole in the cap works :lol:
Good luck with your decision and let me/us know what U come up with.
Fred

Edit
I don't find fumes to be a prob in the garage.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lets design a car with a gas filler in the back. Works great if you drive around in REVERSE! King,with your setup you will never have a fuel starvation problem as there is usually pressure in the tank like SASSY says,no vacuum,with an OEM type vented gas cap. Where in the tank are you thinking about putting the vent? There's really no good spot IMO. Has to be something out there that works OK that's less than $279

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I ended up ordering a different http://www.iimuch.com fuel tank vent from Summit racing part # whd-20024 Yes its on the expensive side but its going to be tidy .
They have 2 types ,one for $279 which can go directly through to the bottom of the car.Tthe one I ordered is $199 and has An6 fittings .I will be up out of the way In the trunk mounted beside the Ron Francis Fuel pump crash relay and it will act like a check valve between the vent port on the Aeromotive phantom in tank pump I installed in a new stock tank and will vent out the bottom of the car via a sintered bronze vent .
Its all about reliability and tidy ,my work shop is a disaster most of the time ,the car isn't going to be .
I have spent so much time and $$$ hopefully the car is done before I am
I will post pics when I get it installed (BTW what free Photo hosting site works these days ? Photobucket doesn't want to work for me anymore )

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

The vent is on the pump it self...most in tank pumps are made to go on the sending unit,fuel tube assembly which is on top of the tank.With the Comet,everything is down low on the tank,including the vent,in the liquid fuel most of the time.Wouldn't the vent tube have to be up high inside the tank? Maybe I'm missing something here.Wish you had some pics.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Seems to me a gas cap with a sintered bronze center would work for our cars??
May have to find a piece of sintered bronze and make one,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Vice Grip, I do have a pic on my phone but have to figure out a new photo hosting deal,I wish forum photo posting was easier .

Here is a web link that shows the fuel pump with 3 ports In the top. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ectedIndex

I welded in a filler plate to cover the stock sender fuel pickup location ,stupid spot anyway.
I will post more photos when I can

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Now I understand how you did it. I assume you will use the orig gauge sender in the orig location. Now for the mechanical fuel pump guys...still open for suggestions.

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Vice grip . I welded a blank over the spot (Front Lower Half of stock tank) where the stock combination fuel sender /Fuel pickup would go .Instead I used a solid state sender from Tanksinc in the top of the tank in one of 2 flat spots available on the repop I got from ebay
In hindsight I should have spent the $$$ and got a custom tank made so I would have thicker metal and a flatter spot for the pump and sender .
Also the fuel pump just has the vent port that has an extension down into the tank with a rubber duck bill type check valve ..I will still have to run a line up to the 2 much fab vent and then back down and out under the car.
if it was a mustang I could have got a stock looking tank fuel injection ready for $200 but who wants a mustang.I will work on posting a photo
Last edited by lavron on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed photo link

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

King I fixed the photo link for you, you just need the part of the URL surrounded but IMG tags. (just do an edit on your post and hopefully you can see what I did)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks Mike for fixing the link, not 100% sure what you did.I will figure it out