pitman arm removal

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
hotrodron

pitman arm removal

Post by hotrodron »

I'm in the process of converting to 65v8 manual steering, and I can't get the pitman arm off the box. Know heat or pounding on it will damage the box. anyone have any ideas? BTW...good job PoBoyJo65 your post helped a lot .............Ron

SASSY

Re: pitman arm removal

Post by SASSY »

I used a decent sized(after I broke a smaller one ) 3 jaw puller.
I understand U can rent a pitman arm puller at some auto part stores, maybe phone around your area.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

Thanks Fred, third one from Advanced Auto and was afraid I was going to break it. Went to Harbor Freight and bought there HD pitman arm puller and broke the tooth off!!!! this puppy is on there

Groover

Post by Groover »

Slow and steady... I think it has to be with a puller. Any pounding is gonna cause trouble. I use a two arm puller and it's tough to get it in there. Total PITA, but maybe take the box out first, if you're at wits end. Been there, done that, feel your pain.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

mine just popped right off with an impact gun & a good pitman arm puller. That's the way my frontend man says he's been doing them for years.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

What John said,,, works for me everytime.

Lou

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

Thanks for the tips ,guys. Got it off using a 3" cutoff wheel and cut a relief slot in the arm ,not hitting the steering box shaft. then drove a small chisel into slot. next I used a rented (auto zone) puller and it came off. I think this pitman arm had never been removed. Hope this helps others with the same dilemma............Ron