Clutch pedal wobbly

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
comethead

Re: Clutch pedal wobbly

Post by comethead »

Yes you need a stop. You can make one. I used two short pieces of 3/16 flat steel welded at a 90 degree angle. I installed a hood bumper to make it adjustable.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

comethead wrote:Yes you need a stop. You can make one. I used two short pieces of 3/16 flat steel welded at a 90 degree angle. I installed a hood bumper to make it adjustable.

Joe
Right on, thanks! I'll work on that this weekend.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

rjones35 wrote:One thing, not related to the wobbly part, I think anyway, is I don't have a stop for the pedal. It goes all the way to the floor, past the point where the return spring will bring it back. Do I need to fix that? If you remember from way back when I was putting this car together, I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm figuring it out as I go!! I did get the pedal welded to the shaft and should have new bushings today, so hopefully put it back together this weekend sometime.
If the Z bar or hydraulic clutch isn't installed, it'll stay on the floor. The only pedal stop on my 65 (i'm using a hydraulic release bearing) is at the top; the linkage/ pressure plate/ throw out bearing hold it up in either configuration. The spring is an "assist" spring, not a return spring, if that helps.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks guys. Got it put back together and readjusted the linkage to help the pedal not go all the way down, plus, and don't laugh too hard, but I stuck a piece of this plastic trim I had leftover from putting in a bathroom window years ago, under the carpet as a stop. It seemed to be about the right thickness, and I don't think it'll go anywhere. I haven't driven it yet, weather is kinda crappy, but it seems like the new adjustment will work ok, at least moving it back and forth in the garage. And it's definitely more solid feeling, no wobble!! Hopefully it will work as good when it's actually on the road.