Clutch pedal wobbly

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
rjones35

Clutch pedal wobbly

Post by rjones35 »

Hey, it's been a while!! Cars been good, although haven't driven it a whole lot.....

This is on my 63. Last time I drove it, I was leaving a buddies place, after listening to him give me a hard time about not doing burnouts....I don't know, just not my thing I guess, good for breaking parts and wearing out tires....anyway, I push the clutch pedal down and it doesn't come back up!! This is a t5 with a modern driveline hydraulic slave, and still has the return spring. I get home and take a look. Seems like it maybe just needs lube, so I hose everything down with some lube and it seems to work better. I haven't had a chance to actually drive it again yet. I did notice, while I was messing around down there, that the pedal seems to have a lot of wobble on the shaft. Like it's not attached very well. I thought I had read somewhere about grinding off the "riveted" part of the shaft and actually welding it on? Does that sound right? And if I've got it all out, I'll check out bushings or whatever is on the shaft too.

popscomet

Re: Clutch pedal wobbly

Post by popscomet »

ON ol rusty,,we took the clutch pedal ass'y apart cleaned and wire brush shaft ,lubed up with anti-seiz and used new bushings and all is good,,if shaft is loose and in need of tack weld,,,make sure shaft is straight and seated correctly ,if not it will wear out bushing faster on 1 side,,,,you don't want shaft at an angle....that POP's way !! pop
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Right on, thanks Pop! Just got it pulled apart. Shaft is definitely loose in there, but other than that bushings and shaft seem okay. I'll get some new bushings and clean it up good, and weld that thing in there good!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Comethead did the roller bearing upgrade to his, he might can help you if you decide to go that route. here is some good info ;
http://www.joesfalcon.com/page26.html
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

If you want to replace the nylon bushings with roller bearings there’s this kit https://www.jegs.com/i/Scott-Drake/204/ ... GDEALw_wcB

I used the kit from Mustang Steve https://www.mustangsteve.com/product/bbk/

My clutch pedal is still very smooth after a few thousand miles.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks guys!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

always a couple of different ways to skin a cat....good look either way you go...….pop
pop/glenda

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I converted mine to roller bushings years ago Great upgrade this year its roller pivots and heims on all clutch rods pedal effort will be Light.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

barrys65cyclone wrote:I converted mine to roller bushings years ago Great upgrade this year its roller pivots and heims on all clutch rods pedal effort will be Light.
Roller bearings would be the best,,we were going to on ol rusty,,but we were in such a time crunch trying to get it ready for PF last june,we just replaced worn bushing ,lubed it and went to something else as the pedal assy'm was all ready out,,,just had to put back in.....can't imagine how smooth it all would be with heims and a bearing set up.....pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Pop my Comet has roller bearings and heim joint rods. It’s smooth! And the effort is easy with a standard diaphragm street clutch.
The Falcon has the same setup but I noticed the Centerforce 2 clutch is heavier. Still smooth.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

in away...ol pop is still old school,,,I still like a stiff clutch pedal,,ain't talking about one that takes both feet to press down,,just some resistence,,but not to the point I have to shift out of gear at a long red light..just one I know what I'm mashing,,,,jmo….pop
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

popscomet wrote:in away...ol pop is still old school,,,I still like a stiff clutch pedal,,ain't talking about one that takes both feet to press down,,just some resistence,,but not to the point I have to shift out of gear at a long red light..just one I know what I'm mashing,,,,jmo….pop
Same here, I like to feel something down there!! :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The couple of times my wife drove my Comet she says the clutch was too hard to push, I told her it wasn't a woman's car :roll:

Getting a hydraulic clutch this time around and she still isn't going to get to drive it :P Well not unless she asks nice :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we put the hyd clutch throwout bearing in ol rusty,,same as we put in one of these race cars,,,,works perfect!!ought to last forever,or close to it, my new 67 GT 390 fstbk had such a stiff clutch ,at a red light you had to shift out of gear,,,GLENDA had a rough time,,at 17/18 yrso ,she didn't have enough lead in her butt to mash pedal and hold it down very long...she was bad to kill it taking off,,she couldn't ease off ,once that pedal started coming up...it was coming like gang buster's....those were the days !! 8) :lol: :wink: it was too stiff,,but I liked it....back then.....today ,,not so much..... :wink: pop
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

One thing, not related to the wobbly part, I think anyway, is I don't have a stop for the pedal. It goes all the way to the floor, past the point where the return spring will bring it back. Do I need to fix that? If you remember from way back when I was putting this car together, I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm figuring it out as I go!! I did get the pedal welded to the shaft and should have new bushings today, so hopefully put it back together this weekend sometime.