Power Steering does nothing!

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
The Transplanter

Power Steering does nothing!

Post by The Transplanter »

Hi

Im after some help on my 64 Galaxie :oops: I know its not my Comet but you guys are always helpful and knowledgeable and are true Ford guys 8)

Its a 64 390 which I have just purchased and had delivered to the UK, the power steering does absolutely nothing! Everything is connected as it should be inc. the belt, has fluid etc. But I cannot even hear the pump whirring or anything!! I have jacked up the front end and turned it lock to lock (with and without the engine running) and thats made no difference. I have even tapped the control valve with a hammer and that has made no difference.

So I know im going to be into replacing or reconditioning parts, but im not sure where I should start. In your experience do you think the problem is likely to be the pump or the control, valve?? Or something else even?

Unfortunately I have no contact or history from the previous owner, so I dont know if it was working before or if it has been an ongoing issue

Cheers

Al

EDIT: I just removed the belt from the pump and removed the high pressure (feed) pipe and spun it over by hand. There isnt must resistance on the pulley (bearings feel good) and no fluid is coming out of the pump when I spin it by hand. Does that suggest the pump is at fault?

Groover

Re: Power Steering does nothing!

Post by Groover »

It's hard for me to imagine any of the key components failing in a way that wouldn't have you leaking fluid out somewhere due to the pressure. That pump can't really fail without making a ton of noise (ground up internally). The control valve could be frozen in the middle I suppose so that fluid passes both sides equally. The cylinder is unlikely to fail, but I guess if there were water in the lines it could rust in place (seems unlikely).

If the belt is on the pump and the pump pulley is spinning?... then i guess I'd take the pressure line off the pump put it in a recovery container and see if fluid is actually pumping out of the pump. If it is, then I'd take the two lines off of the steering cylinder (the ram on the drag link) and see if fluid comes out each end when you steer. Either way you're likely gonna have to make a fluid mess to see what's going on.

If there truely is a failed part, I'd start with the control valve. There are lines in and lines out and fluid should go through at different amounts when you turn the wheels.

Here's a great sight to brush up on the components and to get parts.

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringsysteminfo.html
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Do you have the round canister Ford or TRW Thompson pump? If so,the pressure relief valve is probably stuck. The pump must be taken apart and the valve must be cleaned and freed up.While you're at it,install a rebuild kit which is mostly new seals,available anywhere in the USA so should also be in the UK. Those pumps like to do that at high RPM. Had it happen to me...no noise,just no power steering. Switched to a Saginaw pump and brackets and no more problems.

The Transplanter

Thanks for the replies, your wisdom is always appreciated 8)

I was just looking on RockAuto at pumps for the 64 and none of them looked like mine! So looked at some pics of 64s on the net and sure enough the pumps are different. Looking further into it, it looks like my motor has been swapped out for a 67/8 motor as the 67 onwards pump matches what I have my Galaxie (as well as other differences)
galaxiepump.jpg
galaxiepump.jpg (132.72 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
What type of pump is this one thats fitted? And would it be compatible with my control valve (correct pressure etc.) or could an incompatibility be why its not working? And also how do I access the pressure valve on this pump to check it?

Thanks

Al

The Transplanter

Back again lol.

I reconnected the belt and left the high pressure pipe off. when started I get a nice even jet of fluid pumping out, so im guessing the pump is ok!

So onto the control valve next I guess :D

The Transplanter

I also have some explaining to do to my wife when she gets home!

I put an old sump pan under the car to catch the oil. But it didnt have a sump plug in it lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

The Transplanter wrote:Back again lol.

I reconnected the belt and left the high pressure pipe off. when started I get a nice even jet of fluid pumping out, so im guessing the pump is ok!

Not necessarily. With no resistance,it will pump oil with pressure relief valve stuck. That is the same pump I mentioned earlier. It has to come apart to access the valve.When you get the canister off,the valve will be self evident. You can check everything else out first if you want but since the pump is the easiest to get at,I would want to completely eliminate that as the problem. That style of pump will work fine with the rest of the steering components that came with the car.

The Transplanter

vicegrip wrote:
The Transplanter wrote:Back again lol.

Not necessarily. With no resistance,it will pump oil with pressure relief valve stuck. That is the same pump I mentioned earlier. It has to come apart to access the valve.When you get the canister off,the valve will be self evident. You can check everything else out first if you want but since the pump is the easiest to get at,I would want to completely eliminate that as the problem. That style of pump will work fine with the rest of the steering components that came with the car.
Okay that makes sense, I will take the pump off and have a look and report back :)