Rack and pinion "upgrade" . . . . . ?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
bigdan

Rack and pinion "upgrade" . . . . . ?

Post by bigdan »

https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1877-m ... olumn.aspx

Snooping around the web and saw this today. I know the unisteer kit had problems, but any experience with this design here? Clearance, etc.? Check out the "data sheet" pdf under "instructions." It answered most of my questions. Definitely not free, but not horribly much more expensive than buying all new 65 V8 items. Just tossing it out there for discussion.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

thrnelson

Re: Rack and pinion "upgrade" . . . . . ?

Post by thrnelson »

I would really pay attention to the turning radius. I have the Unisteer with a Ididit column. Install and fit was fine but the turning radius makes getting around a parking lot a challenge.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

thrnelson wrote:I would really pay attention to the turning radius. I have the Unisteer with a Ididit column. Install and fit was fine but the turning radius makes getting around a parking lot a challenge.
That's what piqued my curiosity. They claim factory turning radius and specs; it's definitely not a M2/Pinto rack as adapted to fit. Interesting for sure.

Dan

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dan is it not driving good?
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:Dan is it not driving good?
Johno - it's driving fine! I'm loving it; my oldest and I have quite a few miles on it now. Just constantly on the lookout for "upgrades." Even with the rebuilt box, it could bs a little tighter for sure. I've been eye balling an under- dash power booster as well. Winter upgrades, you know? :mrgreen:

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just that 90% finished thing, I think that is how it will always be :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:Just that 90% finished thing, I think that is how it will always be :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Yep. I still haven't finished the visors, armrests or kick panels either. Too much fun driving it! I'll be glad to get to 500 miles or so to where I consider it "broke in" so I can REALLY start driving it :wink: if you know what I mean . . .

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I do. I'm still waiting for the snow to melt and the rain to wash the salt off the roads so I can start to drive it again.
tom
tomb's 65

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

I've purchased the manual rack system from Chassisworks a short while back. I'm in the process of removing the current power steering components from my 64 Cyclone. I went with the manual rack because i wanted to get rid of all the leaky, dripping power steering pieces from under the car and lose some front end weight. The plan is to eventually go with an electric steering conversion at some point down the road.
I did a lot of reading on the available rack systems out there and this is the only company that assures the retaining of your stock turning radius. Not to mention that they have compatible tie rod ends for the stock V8 spindles and the availability of a bump steer corrector kit if required. I will deal with bump steer once the whole rack setup has been installed and see whether it is needed or not. Most rack systems out there are rebuilt units from GM or other auto manufactures.That is why this companies units are much more expensive, they are fully CNC machined, billet and anodized aluminum pieces of very good quality.
This purchase is a major cost for me as well (think about this; $2,070.00 U.S plus 35% for money exchange, plus shipping, plus brokerage fees, plus 8% duty). Man, I wish I was making U.S. dollars! I am not prepared to lay out my hard earned cash for something the MIGHT work, so I pulled the trigger on these guys.
I already have their full coil over conversion with their front sway bar setup using my original V8 spindles. I also have Baer SS4+ disc brake setup with Baer remaster master cylinder (15/16" bore).

There is someone out there in Comet land that has installed the Chassisworks rack system on his 65 Comet, and was very pleased with the results. Reading his post convinced me to go this route.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Just inquiring if you know 64 and 65 have different outer tierods with the 65 being more popular because of steering upgrades? Does your rack supplier know this?
Oh welcome! Just noticed 1st post!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

Sassy, further to your question regarding the 65 tie rod ends I believe the smaller 7/16" stud is for the 1965 V8 spindle. The larger 1/2" stud is for the 64 V8 spindle.
I am not sure whether the supplier of my tie rod end kit is aware of this difference. I unpacked the tie rod end box that came with my rack and pinion order and found it contained the smaller 7/16" studs for both inner and outer tie rods. The box tag states that this tie rod and adjuster sleeve kit should fit 1964 and 1965 Mercury Cyclones. My spindles are factory stock to the car and have not been change and yet my outer tie rods have the 1/2" stud. I guess a call is in order to Chassisworks to see if they have the correct 1/2" stud outer tie rods or find out if there is a tapered shim available to reduce the size of the tie rod stud opening to suite the smaller 7/16" end.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

https://www.mustangsteve.com/tierodbushings.html

This may point you in the right direction. Really curious how you like the chassisworks set up.

Dan

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Correct outer tierod 63-4 V8 manual or power https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dynde ... 1018aAADEY
Other than the taper fitment the tierods are the same dimensions as 65 and later.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

Dan,
Thanks so much for the information. I'll be giving them a call. As for the Chassisworks rack, it is expensive but it is a high quality piece. I haven't installed it in the car yet but even if it was, I still have this tie rod issue to sort out to hook it all up. Thanks again Dan.

Blueracer

Post by Blueracer »

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the info but WOW!!! That's a hell of a lot of money for an outer tie rod. If you are seeing the part listed from Melvin's in Georgia that I'm seeing.
Being from Canada, you may as well double the $115.00 cost by the time it gets to my door. However, the part information doesn't give stud size. I'd certainly give them a call.
Still, I have never received a straight answer on the correct tie rod stud size for a 1964, V8 Comet spindle (power or manual steering).
I believe it should be 1/2" stud with a 9/16" to 5/8" taper.
Fred, out of curiosity, I see you have a 1964 Comet Caliente...most likely a V8. What is the outer tie rod stud size on your car?
At this point and being that I have already purchased the new tie rods, is to go with the bushings from the web site that Dan provided.