Alignment settings

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
bigdan

Alignment settings

Post by bigdan »

Curious as to everyone's alignment settings, especially the manual steering cars, and pros/cons, etc.

I'm running the following (65 V8 manual) -
(-0.5 camber), (+2.5 caster), (1/16" toe). I'd like to possibly dial in more caster- around +3 to +3.5 if I can get it - thoughts? Input?

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

SASSY

Re: Alignment settings

Post by SASSY »

Hey Dan, I think this is a good heading. I've noticed several people have started to experiment with alignment but their results or final settings seem to get lost in a thread sometimes un related.
As to your question it's been so long since my car's front suspension has been in stock configuration I don't remember where it was.
I've been on a search for big caster, like 10° + but ran into some problems, keeping the tire from contacting the fenders, the steering stops need to be modified so the spindle contacts it properly, and more importantly, bump steer. As castor is introduced the arc of the tierod link changes. On my setup much beyond 6°+ castor creates toeout bump steer. In this case I would like to try the 63-4 spindle as the tierod mount is higher keeping the arc closer to the lower control arm when big castor is introduced.
I just reassembled the car with new locations of some components. Haven't done any testing but my starting point is 1° negative camber, 6° positive caster , toe is between 1/16-1/8.
Somewhere in a box in the attic of the garage I have and old Snap-On pyrometer from my circle track days that I plan to do some tire temperature tests with. I will let it guide me in my toe and camber settings.
More to come.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

3.5° is what the doctor ordered for manual steer cars Dan.
https://opentrackerracing.com/technical/
more for PS cars.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

You're right, Fred. I see bits and pieces of info everywhere buy nothing in one place with real world experiences! Such a good idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Johnno, I'm gonna shoot for +3.5 this week if I can get it and I'll report back. Using the 63 style strut rods should be able to get there i hope.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm at .25- camber on both sides now. I can tell you it steers easier that the 1.25- and 1.5- camber did. I set up my caster on the right at 3.5* and left at 2.5*. The 3.5 left my tire close to the front of the fender. I had a little pull to the right so I backed off the drivers side until it went straight. One needs to build caster with the shims first to keep from binding the lower control arm too much. And toe-in is 1/16", car drives well with a manual box and I don't notice any bump steer from the Granada spindles. Also noteworthy to mention I have a 2" drop in the springs and the Shelby/Arning drop.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.