C4 question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
linklaw

C4 question

Post by linklaw »

I recently acquired a restored 63 s-22 convertible. The original engine (170 c.i. 6 cyl.) and 2 speed auto were rebuilt and installed in the car after the resto, but the prior owner wanted more power and installed a rebuilt 289 2 bbl and c4 three speed automatic. My question concerns the operation of the C4. While it is supposed to be a 3 speed, it seems that I am only getting two gears from it. If left in Drive, it only shifts once. If I start in Low and shift to Drive, I still only get one shift. I thought the tranny might start in second if left in Drive so I tried starting in Low. Can someone advise as to how this tranny is supposed to work and what I should check if I'm only getting 2 gears. Thanks. John

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hey welcome John.

Are you missing third or first gear? If you have a tach in the car you can check your rpms to see what gear it is in, third is one to one, you have to know your rear diff. ratio and tire size I don't remember the calculations but I think there is a link on the Links Page that has one, if not let me know and I will find you one.

Not a C-4 person so I can't help alot but will try my best :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

JOHN G

c-4 answer

Post by JOHN G »

The early c-4(fordomatic) had a different shift pattern. The spot that you think is drive, isn't. The spot that would be drive 2 on most cars is actually drive. This allowed the tranny to be started out in the low gear position and "manually" popped into second without having to pass through multiple positions-makes a great street tranny! Hope this helps.
66 COMET W/200,TRIPLE WEBERS,DUAL HEADER,DURASPARK, $ OTHER GOODIES!

62Comet

Post by 62Comet »

I have 2 C4 questions. First my C4 had a round bellhousing, not the trapeziod shaped one that fits behind a 289. Did Ford make different bellhousing to transmission bolt patterns for the C4? Second if I can use this transmission I want to rebuild it myself. What is the best manual to use for a first time rebuilder? I am confident I can rebuild it with a good manual to go by.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

To answer your first question, yes Ford has different bells to fit different engines, mix and match :P

Don't know about a book.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

62Comet

Post by 62Comet »

lavron wrote:To answer your first question, yes Ford has different bells to fit different engines, mix and match :P

Don't know about a book.

See Ya,
Mike
That wasn't what I was asking about, and sorry I wasn't clearon that. My bellhousing won't fit a 289(my engine choice). I am going to have to buy another one. Will I have to worry about the bolt pattern where the bell bolts to the tranny, or are they all the same just different engine bolt patterns?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

No get a C4 bell to fit your engine you should be OK, but all things are up for debate, someone who knows more than me (experienced) may know of particular issues :roll:

Are you wanting to rebuild it just for the experience? Because you will need some special tools also to do the job, not that that is bad thing to do, it has been 20+ years since I delved into an auto tranny. but I was in school and they had the proper tools. If you have a Harbor Freight local they might have some cheap tools to at least give it a try without a huge investment (especially if you just want to do one, don't count on two uses out or their tools :roll:)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

ok, the bell housing issue is answered by yes, there were different bell housing shapes for different years and engines. there is one that was for the 250 inline six and the others for the V8's. The 250 bell housing had the smaller shape and had a smaller torque converter. The only thing that I can say about the manual is find out what trans you have and from what year and find a manual that has a car that would have that trans. Hope that this helps.

The guy that changed everything out might have gotten the smaller bell housing (same bolt pattern) for clearance issues. This trans normally comes from a 76 granada.
Drew Wanzer
"I love the smell of roasting tires in the morning"

cyclone67

Post by cyclone67 »

dont forget guys there was that nasty little 260 v8 small block that had that wierd 5 bolt bellhousing that realy messes up a few guys :lol:
Wade ``MERC MAN`` Robertson

62Comet

Post by 62Comet »

cyclone67 wrote:dont forget guys there was that nasty little 260 v8 small block that had that wierd 5 bolt bellhousing that realy messes up a few guys :lol:
Some early 289s had that bellhousing also.

supercomet

Post by supercomet »

thanks for that reminder, I did forget all about that!!
Drew Wanzer
"I love the smell of roasting tires in the morning"