65 steering upgrade issues

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Erik88gt

65 steering upgrade issues

Post by Erik88gt »

So I am upgrading my '64 289 Caliente to '65 steering following the instructions here http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs/St ... pgrade.pdf
I bought all the correct parts for the swap, but the tie rods ends are too long when it's all assembled?
I went and took a picture of a friend's actual '65 289 Caliente to compare the two and I still can't tell what is wrong!
The top car in the picture is my '64 with '65 steering, the bottom is the '65.
Both sides of the car have the same amount of tie rod interference shown. When I make the tie rod ends touch end to end, the car is very obviously toed-in.
Don't be thrown off by the tire sizes in the pictures. The upper car has skinnies so the spindle clearance is larger. I'm certain the car has the original V8 spindles as I had to buy the expensive large tie rod ends for them.
I think I'll just cut 1/2" off each tie rod end and be done with it, but I am still at a loss why this isn't working?
I did find one mistake on the Comet East instructions. The '64 V8 Comet does not need a '65 steering box or 6 cyl box, they already have 1" sector shaft boxes and the '65 pitman arm bolts right up.
64 top 65 bottom.jpg
'64 Caliente - Platinum Beige - EFI 302, AOD.
'64 Cyclone - Yard ornament with no engine.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 65 steering upgrade issues

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I had that happen too;I think possibly they are making the new tierods longer.I cut off the ends like you are thinking of doing.It also happened when I did a Granada spindle-disc conversion.ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

senginc

Post by senginc »

"The '64 V8 Comet does not need a '65 steering box or 6 cyl box, they already have 1" sector shaft boxes and the '65 pitman arm bolts right up."

My 64 404 V8 seems to have 1 1/8" shaft (measured with calipers while still on car)

I don't want to change my steering box if i can help

can i use the rebuilt 64 pitman arm on the 65 centerlink?

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Most of the articles on the granada disc swap tell you that you will have to cut the tie rods down. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Again, i used the CSRP custom Granada spindles with the 65 geometry and did not have to cut down the tie rods. I'm guessing that's because the outer tie rods are at a different location.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

stevep

Post by stevep »

Erik88gt,

Are your spindles original 1964 V8 spindles?

stevep

Post by stevep »

1964 falcon/comet spindles(v8) are different than 1965 comet/falcon spindles(v8). I ran into this same exact situation when doing the conversion to 1965 geometry. The steering arm on 1964 spindles is in a diffent position than the steering arm of 1965 spindles.

Dick Harringtons article is good, but it does not mention that when doing the conversion, you must use 1965 spindles and not 1963 or 1964 spindles.

S

BJB

Post by BJB »

I had to replace some of the front end components to make it pass it's road worthy inspection.

Upper and lower ball joints are easily obtained, inner lower control arm bushes also. What concerns me is that the pitman arms are as rare as rocking horse poop.

Now I know that your pitman arms probably will be unsuitable as your vehicles are LHD but for us RHD owners, I just wonder where I am going to source them, as well as drag links.

EDIT: Pitman arm is OK , it is the drag link. I sourced one through Rare Spares for $138 AUD which is almost par with the USD.
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Hi all..

So my motor is about to come out in a couple weeks.. The new one is being assembled..

While it's out, I think this is the perfect time to fix the steering!

I want to put 65 steering in my 63. Is there a kit you can buy that has the required parts? Or do I need to try to source all the parts individually? Would love some insight!

Thanks!

Mike

comethead

Post by comethead »

RCMike wrote:Hi all..

So my motor is about to come out in a couple weeks.. The new one is being assembled..

While it's out, I think this is the perfect time to fix the steering!

I want to put 65 steering in my 63. Is there a kit you can buy that has the required parts? Or do I need to try to source all the parts individually? Would love some insight!

Thanks!

Mike
Mike I think you will have to scrape together all the parts yourself.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

here is a list of the parts needed to convert to a 65 manual steering. these parts were ordered from falcon parts.com. the prices were in sept 09, might be a little higher now. one note, I used granada disc on the front. the main thing I did different was use a mustang box. before you say it won't work, yes it will but it takes some work. the steering shaft is about 4" longer than the stock comet falcon. what I did was cut the shaft about 3" up on the box. and shortened it the amount needed for a comet. instead of welding it back I got a borgensen connector that fit perfect in the comet steering column. I am running a 4 speed and will work with an auto but with a floor shift. now I can take the column out with out removing the steering box. mustang boxes are plentiful and cheap compared to a falcon comet. so with the below parts it was all a bolt in. all the suspension parts are same as a mustang but a lot cheaper for the same thing.
do some research and you'll be surprised what will work at some cost saving.

oh well, worked for me.

alan

Item 1
Product ID: C2AA-3310-B
Product Name: 1963-1965 V-8 TIE ROD ADJUSTING SLEEVE Product Price: $9.50
Quantity: 2

Item 2
Product ID: C5DZ-3304-A
Product Name: 1965 V-8 MANUAL STEERING CENTER LINK Product Price: $150.00
Quantity: 1

Item 3
Product ID: C5ZZ-3590-A
Product Name: 1965 V-8 PITMAN ARM - 1 INCH Product Price: $64.95

Item 4
Product ID: C5ZZ-3A131-D
Product Name: 1965 V-8 MANUAL STEERING INNER TIE ROD END Product Price: $22.95

Item 5
Product ID: ES 445RL
Product Name: 1974-1979 GRANADA MANUAL STEERING OUTER TIE ROD END Product Price: $29.05

Item 6
Product ID: C3DZ-3351-A
Product Name: 1965 V-8 IDLER ARM BRACKET Product Price: $33.95

Item 7
Product ID: C5ZZ-3352-A
Product Name: 1965 V-8 MANUAL or POWER STEERING IDLER ARM Product Price: $47.75

SubTotal: $419.65
Shipping: $35.95(Regular Shipping)
Handling: $0.00
State Tax: $0.00
Country Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $455.60
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Ugh.. So if I do this I have to go floor shift? I had them build the trans for column shift..lol

:(

Mike
'63 Comet Hardtop

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

RCMike wrote:Ugh.. So if I do this I have to go floor shift? I had them build the trans for column shift..lol

:(

Mike
no, you can still use a stock box and keep the column shift. I went the way I did because I had a rebuilt mustang box and 'opted to use it. makes it nice if you need to work under your dash, unplug the turn signals, remove a couple of bolts, and the set screws on the connector and all the column is out and out of the way. not saying it's the best for you, just worked for me.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

So I'm looking for a 65 steering box and the parts above, except I need different outside tie rods for my stock v8 spindles, right? I hope I'm reading this right..

Does the 65 box need to be from a v8 car or were they all the same? And do I need a new column to go with my new box?

Thanks guys for answering what are stupid questions, but I would love to only spend the money once and do this while the front end is already apart..
'63 Comet Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

RCMike wrote:So I'm looking for a 65 steering box and the parts above, except I need different outside tie rods for my stock v8 spindles, right? I hope I'm reading this right..

Does the 65 box need to be from a v8 car or were they all the same? And do I need a new column to go with my new box?

Thanks guys for answering what are stupid questions, but I would love to only spend the money once and do this while the front end is already apart..
Hey Mike, take a look at the Autokrafters catalog pg.119. http://www.autokrafters.com/v4files/aut ... 11_Pt3.pdf
It explains the types of steering gearboxes that were used. I think the only differences youll see are sector shaft diameter and length. I believe 63-65 boxes will all bolt up. Youll need the right pitman arm to go with the 65 steering parts.
I used a 63 floor shift tube for my 65 that was a column shift. AK lists them as different shaft lengths but the tube fit just fine.
Good luck

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

DoctorComet

Post by DoctorComet »

Any advice on upgrading 1964 289V8 with power steering to 1965 parts?