C4 to Toploader

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
evsrcs

Re: C4 to Toploader

Post by evsrcs »

The output shaft is 1 1/16 . Can I use the clutch pedal from a 65 Comet and insert it in my existing auto pedal which is on the car. I will have to cut the auto brake pedal.

comethead

Post by comethead »

evsrcs wrote:The output shaft is 1 1/16 . Can I use the clutch pedal from a 65 Comet and insert it in my existing auto pedal which is on the car. I will have to cut the auto brake pedal.
The input shaft is probably 1 1/16 and 10 spline. And the output (main shaft) is either 25 or 28 or 31 spline. Probably 25 or 28.
The 64 clutch pedal will fit. Repeat, will fit.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

evsrcs

Post by evsrcs »

The clutch pedal I have is from a 65 COMET - will it fit in my 64 COMET? If not what is the difference?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I think you need the complete clutch/brake pedal assembly,not just the pedal.The only difference I know of is that the 65 brake pedal has a bung on it for the brake light switch,brackets should fit. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

evsrcs wrote:The clutch pedal I have is from a 65 COMET - will it fit in my 64 COMET?
Yes.
evsrcs wrote:...what is the difference?
No difference.

Joe

evsrcs

Post by evsrcs »

You guys have been a real help - thanks a lot. I have one other question to ask. I have a 4 speed toploader from a 64 with the narrow bolt setup to bolt to the bellhousing. Is there a bellhousing that this transmission can bolt to and will bolt to a later (71 Torino) 302 motor. I have the bellhousing that this 4 speed came with and the person that used it drilled a wide bolt pattern 65 bellhousing out and used nuts and bolts and bolted the bellhousing and transmission on to the motor as one piece. I would like to avoid doing this.

comethead

Post by comethead »

evsrcs wrote:You guys have been a real help - thanks a lot. I have one other question to ask. I have a 4 speed toploader from a 64 with the narrow bolt setup to bolt to the bellhousing. Is there a bellhousing that this transmission can bolt to and will bolt to a later (71 Torino) 302 motor. I have the bellhousing that this 4 speed came with and the person that used it drilled a wide bolt pattern 65 bellhousing out and used nuts and bolts and bolted the bellhousing and transmission on to the motor as one piece. I would like to avoid doing this.
I had the same issue. Early narrow trans bolted to later 6-bolt 289 block.

I answered your question in your first post above:
Your 71 302 is a 6 bolt engine (65 and up) you can use the cast iron truck bell housing C5TA-6394-A.
That type has cast-in bosses for the narrow pattern trans. It will need to be machined (drilled and tapped) to fit the old narrow pattern trans-that work cost me around $50.
That type of bell housing shows up on Ebay all the time. Look for the "C5T...." cast part number or later numbers. Ive seen "D3TA..." etc.
If you find one post a pic and we can see if its the right type.

Did you get that? The answer is YES you can adapt early trans to later engine block. :|

Joe