T5 or not (to) T5 ... ?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
umassjj

T5 or not (to) T5 ... ?

Post by umassjj »

Been a while since I've chimed in- snow shoveling has been my life for most of the last two months and my 64 Comet has sat idle in a snowbound garage in my yard. Still been thinking about it every day (and night) though, and I've changed my mind about 6 times on tranny combos. Wanted to solicit you guys' advice:

To recap: I have a 6cyl 64 2 door post coupe. I also have a late model Ford Explorer 5.0 302 with the GT40-P heads that I'm going to carburate. Originally I was going to locate a C4 trans and drop it in, but I've second guessed that a whole lot lately and have been thinking of swapping in a T-5. This car is going to be a cruiser, and the ability to have overdrive appeals to me. I also miss having a car that's a stick.

I know a few of you guys have 64's with T-5's in them. Did the trans tunnel require much cutting to get them in there? And, does stock carpet fit in there alright after the swap (assuming you modified the tunnel)?

Thanks in advance fellas,

Jay

SASSY

Re: T5 or not (to) T5 ... ?

Post by SASSY »

5SPEED!!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

5-speed,shifting is more fun.esp with good sounding exh. pop
pop/glenda

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Jay
My tunnel wasn't modified but the brace under the tunnel had to be cut for the Mustang shift linkage. I've heard you need the s10 tail shaft to get the shift handle to clear a bench seat. My 65 looks like an s10 forward location would have the shifter hitting the dash on power shifts ?

Judd

umassjj

Post by umassjj »

Thanks for the votes, guys. If I can make it fit in there without reinventing the wheel, I'm really leaning towards the T-5.

Judd, the original bench seat in my car is going to be banished to the rafters in my barn. Definitely going to go with buckets and an earlier 60's finned console. I can move the console based on where the shifter wants to sit. I had heard guys mention that the tunnel brace had to be cut, or at least notched. An S10 tailshaft definitely isn't in the plans- I want to put a regular ol' World Class T-5 in there.

What did you use for a crossmember Judd? I've seen setups to retrofit T-5's into 65-66 Mustangs (which I bet won't work in the Comet), and I saw one guy fabbed one up with 1/4" plate stock.

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

5 Speed! im very pleased with mine. i cut the floor and used the rearward location and am very pleased. the cross meber wasnt hard to fab either.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

comethead

Post by comethead »

I vote for T5..then you can get those 3.73 gears and have a blast!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

FORD FAN

Post by FORD FAN »

Jay,
I have a WC T5 in my '65 out of my former '92 GT. I did have to cut the brace as previously stated because that's where the shifter comes through. A Fox Mustang double hump transmission bracket was used and I fabricated mounts welded to the insides of the front sub frames. It works real well. My console is right now not bolted down and just moved back to clear the shifter. Ive heard of someone having the shifter come through the console coin tray. Not sure how that would look? Don
'65 Cyclone, 5.0, Gt40X heads, HO cam, Edelbrock 600, T5, 9" 3.70 gears, MII susp.

umassjj

Post by umassjj »

Awesome! Thanks for chiming in Don. It's been a long winter here and I'm looking forward to getting going on my Comet. I'm really pumped on the idea of a 5 speed!

My console isn't a stocker 64- it's got to be out of an earlier falcon or something. It's about 16 inches long, kind of hump shaped, with finned trim. Shouldn't be much of a hassle to move it out of the way of wherever the shifter lands on 2nd and 4th.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

FORD FAN wrote:Jay,
Ive heard of someone having the shifter come through the console coin tray. Not sure how that would look? Don
This is the only pic I have right now and the interior is all apart.
Fred

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Jay
Mine has a mount that is just two plates that mount in the original cross member location with a plate on the bottom that a ( I think ) late model Mustang trans mount bolts to. I can get pictures if you need as it looks like something easy for a welder to fabricate.

Judd

Judd, the original bench seat in my car is going to be banished to the rafters in my barn. Definitely going to go with buckets and an earlier 60's finned console. I can move the console based on where the shifter wants to sit. I had heard guys mention that the tunnel brace had to be cut, or at least notched. An S10 tailshaft definitely isn't in the plans- I want to put a regular ol' World Class T-5 in there.

What did you use for a crossmember Judd? I've seen setups to retrofit T-5's into 65-66 Mustangs (which I bet won't work in the Comet), and I saw one guy fabbed one up with 1/4" plate stock.[/quote]