Rear Axle and Final Drive Ratio Help!

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Benny1369

Rear Axle and Final Drive Ratio Help!

Post by Benny1369 »

Gentlemen, I have looked on http://www.fordification.com to no avail regarding what my rear axle is.

From what I can decipher, I have a (non stock) 60's era Ford 9" with a 3.75 final drive line ratio which is not "posi-trac".

The information on the tag is as follows:

Top Line: WEB - AD5 2MC
Bottom Line: 3.75 9 844A

The "3.75" may be a "2.75" it is hard to tell...the number is worn.

Also, I cannot post the pics, so PM me if you want to see them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Rear Axle and Final Drive Ratio Help!

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Benny;it could be a 2.75 as Ford gears are 3.70 in 9" rears.What is the rear end in?Are you sure it is a 9"[bottom two bolts are only accessible with a box wrench]? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

WEB-AD tells us you have a 2.75 rear from a Cougar '74 Montego, Torino '72-'74 - it's a 'non-locker', 9-inch with 28 spline axles.

Having a 9" is great ( a dream for me still, lol) - the rear gear is great for milege given gas prices - 'highway gear'. 28 spline axles are fine with that gear - no worries there. If you want more street accelleration (hard launches) stepping that rear gear up is not a high dollar mod for you and posi's are a dime a dozen - you're already ahead of the game in that you have the 9" - me, I gotta hunt one down and swap the whole mess >.<

~Brad
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Benny1369

Post by Benny1369 »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help. The "5" was throwing me off after the "AD", as WEB-AD5 isn't listed on FordID.

The rear end is in my, new to me, 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente 2dr hard top. It has a '67 blocked 289 (still doing research on the engine) bored .040 over, an Edelbrock 600 4bbl, and a C4 transmission (also,still doing the research as to where that came from, age, etc...).

Originally, as the VIN and door panel are intact/readable, the car was Mist Yellow on black (the interior is new, to factory specs minus the door panels), with a "K" code 289(oh, the debates about that "K" code...) , and a 4 speed manual transmission. I don't remember what the factory rear was, but I'll post it when I look it up again.

Thanks again, guys. Man, this forum is rad.