Granada swap - hit a snag

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Coolball

Granada swap - hit a snag

Post by Coolball »

Hey guys looking on some advice which route to go with swapping to Granada discs on the front in the 64 comet. Spindles swap okay but there is no way the tie rod ends will match up. I know I need to use the outer tie rod end from the Granada to fit the taper in the spindle but after some comparison between the threaded ends on the granada and the comets outer tie rod ends the adjusting sleeve is not compatible in diameter or thread size. I have the rest of the linkage off the Granada but looking at the comets inner tie rod end it's too small to accept the granada stuff. What do I need to do here?

Comet outer tie rod on the left, granada outer tie rod on the right

383MERC

Re: Granada swap - hit a snag

Post by 383MERC »

Are your inner tie rods 6 cyl or V-8? It's been a while since i put mine together, but i thought i used the granada outers? I know there is an outfit that makes tapered bushings to use on the smaller tapered pins, but i didn't need to use them. I had all new 65 mustang V-8 inners, sleeves, drag link and idler arm. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Heres the adapter to use the Comet tie rod ends.... this is the tapered adapter. but the pic is not loading...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110689316543?ss ... 1423.l2649

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

383MERC wrote:Are your inner tie rods 6 cyl or V-8? It's been a while since i put mine together, but i thought i used the granada outers? I know there is an outfit that makes tapered bushings to use on the smaller tapered pins, but i didn't need to use them. I had all new 65 mustang V-8 inners, sleeves, drag link and idler arm. Mark
Existing steering is V6 and much smaller than the Granada stuff as you can see. Anybody know if the idler arms on the Granada bolt up? Thinking I could move to all Granada tie rods and then use a mustang center link.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

sideshow wrote:Heres the adapter to use the Comet tie rod ends.... this is the tapered adapter. but the pic is not loading...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110689316543?ss ... 1423.l2649
That's an interesting idea and definitely something to pursue as a fix although I'm leaning toward moving to V8 stuff. The V6 parts are...just cute lol

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I originally had 6 cyl stuff on my car and when i tried to put the v8 sindles on, it was a bump steer hightmare! Now that i know you have 6 cyl stuff on your car, i would highly recomend changing it all to V-8. It's not too bad. You can buy a new center link. The pitman arm you can get from a 65 mustang. Just be sure of the sector shaft diameter. There are two different sizes. I think your car has the smaller one. The idler arm, inner tie rods and adjuster sleeves are all reasonble for a 65 mustang V-8.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Just to clarify before I start buying all this, do I need to get a 65 Mustang center link? I have the Granada outer tie rods and adjuster sleeves. So my shopping list and correct me if I'm wrong:

65 Mustang V8 center link (drag link)
65 mustang V8 pitman arm with the smaller 1'' sector shaft
65 mustang V8 inner tie rods
65 mustang V8 Idler arm

Richard Hogan

Post by Richard Hogan »

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Ooooo that looks sweet :shock: nice and clean too :lol: :)

I actually have all that already but mines more of the junkyard's finest quality. I just need to order the brake hoses. I noticed thought how they say nothing in those kit instructions about the steering linkage and mention nothing about V6 and or V8.

The thing is I've read that the comet/falcon center links are model specific so before I spend all my beer money on a new center link I want to know it will work.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

I think I found my answer. The Mustang center link is too long. The center link is falcon/comet specific.

Great write up with pics here: http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs/St ... pgrade.pdf

Richard Hogan

Post by Richard Hogan »

Well, yeah...if you have a straight 6 (mine) and are planning a 302 or 351 (oh yes!!!) the you should def upgrade the front suspension with heavy duty equipment. :D

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Comet center links are available new. Just watch, because i have used two of them and one was twisted so bad the idler arm wouldn't go through the hole. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible