3 speed with Overdrive

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
gwalk1965

3 speed with Overdrive

Post by gwalk1965 »

I'm trying to find out if a 3 speed overdrive transmission was ever offered on a Comet? I can find several Fairlane years offering the option, but I am not finding a clear answer regards to Comets.............anyone seen or hear anything? I just picked up a 66 Fairlane Overdrive transmission, and I will eventurally put it in my Comet, not so much for performance reasons, but because I always loved how they work:) Not worried about my 289 overpowering it, I just like the idea of being a little different, plus having a transmission I have enjoyed in other car. :wink:
Greg

comethead

Re: 3 speed with Overdrive

Post by comethead »

Doesnt look like it.
Check this out: http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDF_Fil ... _facts.pdf

It would be cool if you could make it work though.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

gwalk1965

Post by gwalk1965 »

Thanks Joe, I hope to make it work too :D
Greg

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

gwalk1965 wrote:Thanks Joe, I hope to make it work too :D
Did you get everything that goes with the set up on that transmission? My 51 ford has that trans ,they are neat.they have a fuse block on the firewall and a button under the gas pedal and a push/pull cable under the dash for in/out of over-drive.I've never seen one in a comet,but do know they were in some FE pick-ups as late as71/72.I do know if you leave it parked in OD on a incline it is subject to roll off,unless you put it in reverse,OD does not work in reverse,those trans have a free whl mode while in OD.YRS ago my 56 v8 studebaker 2dr silver hawk coupe had one in it.They had 2 places to put gear lube in ,the gear box and the tailshaft where the OD unit was,most often,the tail shaft was over looked,and would get low or out of grease and burn up the little planatary gears where the small electric motor is mounted on the rear.Its a blast driving the 51 while in OD,mash it to the floor and hit that button and hold it to the floor,that in turn kicks it out of OD,like when passing or up a incline,then when your ready,let up on the gas pedal just e;nuff to get off the button and it slips back into OD,cool as can be . hope you can make it work..it for sure will give you that WOW facter !! POP
pop/glenda

gwalk1965

Post by gwalk1965 »

Pop, no I didn't get all the goodies with the overdrive, but I am lucky to enough to have had a few in my life. I have wired them up before to be electrically shifted, and I have had them completely stock as well. I need a clutch pedal, floor shifter and and a few other parts, but I kinid of fell into the deal by accident. This will be a slow process, but I'm patient. My first car had the overdrive, 53 Crestline Victoria and I LOVED it. I've had a 63 Galaxie 390 with OD and a 63 Fairlane with 260 and OD, all were awesome and trouble free, which I assume is normal? I hope that your right, it might give my Comet a little something to be different and set me apart from the norm?

What model is your 51? Is it a V8 Flathead? One of my all time favorite engines :D
Greg

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YES,100hp flathead/less than 74,000 miles,2dr custom sedan,still 6volt.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:YES,100hp flathead/less than 74,000 miles,2dr custom sedan,still 6volt.....pop
CLICK on pic of pops comet ,you'll see it sitting in the back ground,it's all orig ,except paint/whls side pipes and dual exhaust with a pr of fenton headers.I bought it for my oldest granson 8th birth day,in a couple of wks,he'll be 24 yrs old,at 1st I took it to car shows for him ,he won lots of awards in the orig/unrestored class,but after a couple of yrs,he asked me to make it different,as he was bored with being stock,thought about a 289 or even the 312 y-block,I'd taken out of wife's 56 ford,when I put in a 351w/c4 in her old ford,but that flat head ran so good and that OD worked so smooth,I just couldn't bring myself to change it,so I asked him if flat paint /flames twin smitty's and shiny whls would make him happy ?the rest is history !!in fact when I reg it and bought tags,the title is in his name and mine,its realy his car,but it stays here so I can keep an eye on it,but I know one day he's coming after it,,,and that'll be OK too !! my 15 yr grandson is coming after my comet,in a few more yrs,thats the one that will be hard to see go,but I gave to him yrs ago,so what OLE POP needs to do is finish his factory five cobra kit car,,finger tips are sore,,,,,POP
pop/glenda