Parking Brake

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
MoneyPit

Parking Brake

Post by MoneyPit »

Hello All,

My front parking brake cable broke the other day. I have a replacement cable but I cannot get the bar you pull on out. There is a knob (not sure what you would call it) that stops you from turning the handle any further or pulling the handle out. Does anyone know if you can just knock it out through the holes in the bottom or if it is threaded in? I need to pull it out so I can slip the new cable into the pull bar.

Thanks

MoneyPit

Re: Parking Brake

Post by MoneyPit »

I forgot to mention that it is on a 64 comet caliente.

Groover

Post by Groover »

MoneyPit wrote:I forgot to mention that it is on a 64 comet caliente.
The best year of all Comets :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

comethead

Post by comethead »

MoneyPit wrote:Hello All,

My front parking brake cable broke the other day. I have a replacement cable but I cannot get the bar you pull on out. There is a knob (not sure what you would call it) that stops you from turning the handle any further or pulling the handle out. Does anyone know if you can just knock it out through the holes in the bottom or if it is threaded in? I need to pull it out so I can slip the new cable into the pull bar.

Thanks
I believe your talking about the roll pin that secures the parking brake handle and keeps it in place. Get a very thin punch and line it up in the hole and whack that pin out...that should get the handle out to replace the cable. You outta get a shop manual for that car...the procedure should be in there.

Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

MoneyPit

Post by MoneyPit »

Thanks! I got it out.