CONVERTION FROM A C4 TO A T5 TRANNY

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
haley72

CONVERTION FROM A C4 TO A T5 TRANNY

Post by haley72 »

I currently have a C4 bolted to my 302. I want to p :D ut a T5 in because I think I can get more power thru the drive train plus its more fun to drive a standard. What are some of the pros and cons of doing a convertion like that? And what am I going to need to do in order to do it right? I might of found one out of a early 80s mustang 5.0, will that bolt to my block or do I need to use my old bell houseing? Any suggestions, coments or concerns? I would appreciate anything anyone has to say, Im new to this so let me know. :D

rditz

Post by rditz »

I did the conversion and you will need a few things...

1) buy a good clutch
2) decide what type of clutch mechanism you are going to use (Cable, Hydraulic, etc), I went with a cable setup.
3) you may need a new speedo gear
4) a shifter hump (your choice)
5) Pedals

I found that I had to modify my trans mount a bit to move it back about an inch or so.. I also had to drop it about 3/4" by way of spacers. this is because the trans hit the shifter hump.

I bought a cable clutch kit for a '65 '66 Mustang and adapted it to my needs. (you may have to make a hole in the dash for the cable to pass through)

Once you have everything it goes in pretty easy.

Good Luck

Rod

haley72

Post by haley72 »

thanks for the input. Im no where close to doing anything that. Im just trying to get info now so when I am ready Ill know what to expect. I was told to find a Comet that was a standard from the factory and gut all the clutch componits and the tranny if it was the right one. Should I buy a new T5 or find one from a junk yard to rebuild? Ether way I figure it will cost some $$$

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think that finding a Comet/Maverick with a standard might be tough, I have never seen one but I am sure there was a three speed stick :roll: you might be able to use the clutch brackets, etc. off of an early Comet/Falcon/Mustang you would just need to do some measuring.

You won't find a T-5 Comet that is for sure but the same swap for all the similar platforms will work (probably will find Mustang swap info, just mark out Mustang in the instructions and write in Comet :wink: ) they will give you parts list you may want to check.

You will probably find that most people use a Hydro or cable clutch for ease of installation. I intend on running the old mechanical style linkage in mine but that may change when I get in to it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

rditz

Post by rditz »

haley,

Mike makes some good points... the way you go for operating the clutch will be something of preference for you, but as Mike said it is probably easier to go cable (i had my setup in and adjusted in about 2-3 hours). A donor car of the era of yours that is a manual is the way to go for pedals, pins, bushings, column (if needed) and any other odd parts that you won't be able to buy...

As far as new or used, again, i think that is preference... i got a sweet deal on my 302/T5, so used was the way I went. I had the tranny rebuilt from tip to tail, so now it is new. I figure I have about $900.00 into the tranny (not including clutch, or clutch cable setup), so depending on what you can get a new one for, you have to decide.

Good luck...

rod

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think I have some links on my other website; http://www.64comet.com, look under the links they are just a jumble of links I collected that I wanted to keep track of, some of them my be dead I haven't checked in a while, I am pretty sure there are several on T-5 swaps and the differences in the transmissions.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058