Finally started leafspring relocation!

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
383MERC

Re: Finally started leafspring relocation!

Post by 383MERC »

Yeah, i had to slightly loosen the side that did line up perfectly to the point that the pin still fit into the spanner nut. Then we adjusted the other side and still kept the play to .009 which is in the acceptable range of .008 to .010, so we should be good. Going to the speed shop in the am for some trinkets and then it sounds like we're getting another 6-9 inches of snow tomorrow afternoon. I can spend the weekend in the garage. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Hey mark the new wheels are looking good,i think they will accent the car very well. With all these modifications looks like your going to have a good year at the track . I was wondering how much lighter your center section is over a N case.i went with a N case on mine because of a street n strip application,i considered aluminum...[ not sure im thinking race only]..but a 456 spool that's a nice piece you have there.IM using a 35 spline Detroit locker in a N case with 373 gears tires are a set of 29 by 15.5 s mickey thompsons on American racing wheels for street trim,Was thinking of something similar to what you have for race trim.. anyway that's a sweet 63........ 8)

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I didn't weigh it, but i'm guessing 20lbs at least. Got the senter in tonight along with the axles and caliper brackets. Need to shim everything tomorrow and get this thing going. I think i'm wearing out my welcome at my buddies garage. Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Well, we're finally done! Sorry no updates for a little while. The rear is completed, brake lines and Wilwood disc brakes are installed, stainless steel hoses, New Wilwood master cylinder in and the new 29x10 Hoosiers on the Holeshot "Klassic" wheels. The car has a completely different stance. Just got her back in the garage last night after what seemed to be 15 snow storms! I plan on adding relays to my accessories and a little wiring updates and we should be ready to go. Can't wait. Mark

1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

pro64

Post by pro64 »

Looks awesome mark. Great stance

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep looks badass Mark! :D so those are 29's & you didn't move the rearend back?
Johno

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

I had Calvert move the pins in the springs back 3/4" when I bought that stuff a couple years ago. I was prepared to move the rear back some more, but I may not have to. I bought moroso spring perches because they only have the one small hole drilled in them. This way I could drill a second set of holes if I have to. I think I'll be OK. If not, all I have to do is pull the u-bolts and drill a couple holes. Plenty of spline into the trans.
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well it looks good! & doesnt look moved back. someone said they look funny when moved back & I agree, but I cant tell it on yours. I think you could go back another 1/2'' if you had to, without looking funny at all.
looks great! BEEFY!
Johno

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Nice Job Mark, looks good underside and the Stance is awesome.......Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Very nice work! I love your car as well almost more then the lines of my 65!!

Ant

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

very nice!
If they didn't before they'll be takin ya serious now!
Your gonna loose the psychological edge those little tires gave ya,,lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Wow Mark the final results look terrific!!! A bigger tire should really help your car be more consistent on different track conditions. Andy

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Well, finally got the bugs worked out on the cars and took her to the track last Friday. Made a few soft passes to make sure everything was functional and then ran a bunch of full passes. The car is working fantastic! I couldn't be happier with the starting line performance as a whole. Very consistent launches. The car ran its best passes and we even had less than favorable weather conditions. Hoping to go to my first race of the season Saturday, if the weather holds out. All the hard work was worth it! Here are a few time slips. The 1/4mile MPH was off on a couple of passes. I believe they were having a photo cell issue because the 1/8 mile speeds were extremely consistent. Mark

1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Nice job very consistent Mark. I would say you possibly did same thing at beginning of 1st and last run ticket as you made up time early, less 60' but equal by 330. Maybe spun some plus shallower stage which could give you the extra MPH twice. Anyway your making some steam. You will go rounds driving like that.........Al '
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

loman

Post by loman »

Wow! The consistency in those runs is impressive. I agree with ec164 that you are going to go lots of rounds with those kind of numbers. I'm glad it is working out for you.