4 link

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

4 link

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Has anyone installed the Heidts or TCI or any other 4 link kit in a 65?
Neither offer specific kits and A TCI dealer said the Falcon one would fit with somw mods.

ec164

Re: 4 link

Post by ec164 »

Installing a 4-link will require many modifications, including the need to remove rear seat and cut out floor just to get enough room to install the 4-link properly!! This will not be easy to do yourself unless you have had past experience. A good ladder bar set-up with coil overs will do as good a job if not better and not cost you so dearly. Your back seat can also remain. If possible use the x style connecting link from Alston available with one of their ladder bar systems. I truly think that will also be the most cost effective route. Good Luck with your project!!!.................Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

After much research I decided to go for the TCI front IFS and rear 4link.
As i posted earlier .so far no one makes a specific kit for the 65 Comet so i am using the Falcon kit.
First inpressions are that the fabrication and welding are really nice.
I am switching up to a 9inch so i also chose the weld on brackets amd coil over shocks.
I will document the install as i go to save others the headache.As per usual i will be soliciting your help as this is my first
Full on resto mod.And although i am a non-destructive testing and weld inspector,i will be solciting the help of some proffesional welders for the structural welding
Trial fit
A trial fitting reveals that the frame of the comet is narrower at the back so i cant get the 4 link main bracket Up into position .It has tabs that locate to the original shock towers that get through bolted
Also the supplied frame re-inforcment saddle brackets are meant for 1 3/4 frame rails were as the comets are 2 inch..
The extra ticknws ia partly responsibel for it being narrower .In total i need to reduce the overall width of the 4l link rear main saddle to hwt it to fit.once Once i get it up in there i will get a better idea of what needs to be tweeked
The 4 link frame has ears that aligb to the original shock mounts hopefully those are in the right spot.
Also it looks like the fuel tank may be in the way.lucky for me mine looks like it needs replacing anyway so i will most likely find a new one that fits saving modifying an original one
It will be and adventure and will supply pics once i get started mistakes and all

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Glad you made the decision, now stick to your plan and it will come together well. Will be watching for your photos................Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

pro64

Post by pro64 »

NICE SET UP. remember to measure ten times and to cut once..... the best advise I can give you is make sure the car is blocked up straight and level.Weld in any cross supports you may need to keep car square,AND go from there..

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

Some of us may be getting confused with the type of 4 link you are going with. If I understand correctly you are not cutting frame rails out of your car but installing something like this?
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

geralde

Post by geralde »

Anyone here tried the Rod and Custom rc114 rear suspension kit? It appears to be adjustable so the narrow frame may not be an issue.

Thanks,
BigG

Loner

Post by Loner »

Wow that is cool!! What was it like to put it in??

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

The TCI kit for the Falcon isn't the best fit fir the Comet.The Comet has wider frame rails making the distance between them smaller so there is that issue,The comet has curved frame rails where the brackets at least supplied for the falcon are parrallel so I assume the frame rails are straight in that location on the falcon ,I made curved mouting saddles to fit to solve that issue .The axle centerline to the body underneath the seat where the TCI subframe mounts is longer so I got some professional help with that part.They made another set of curved saddles to attach the front of the TCI subframe to the frame rails and extended the bracket to be able to pick up the sheet metal under the seat to take any bounce out of the span
I wanted to get a professional welder to weld in the TCI front cross member so I did all the perquisite removals and welding of the boxing plates and then they welded it in.
I saw a video of a Dart in Alberta a guy just bought and the back end rips right out of it as he is going around a corner. Although I hate sending stuff out, sometimes its best to know ones limitations especially when it comes to safety.