65 shift collar, automatic wanted

If you need something, post it here
67fastback428

65 shift collar, automatic wanted

Post by 67fastback428 »

Hi,
I am looking for a good 65 comet automatic shift collar if anyone has one. Thanks for looking guys, can anyone verify the correct part number? I came up with C5GY-7228-A I'm not sure, any help much appreciated.
thanks

troy

kevinshi

Re: 65 shift collar, automatic wanted

Post by kevinshi »

Troy you have the part number correct. Turns out I know a lot about this particular part...

There are aftermarket options (see here) however I do not know how they address the gear selector (compass indicator thing). From what I can tell they do not have any kind of indicator so you'd be shifting blind (?).

There is also a 1966 aftermarket option that DOES have an indicator (see here). However the part number is different for the 66 (C4AZ-7228-A). Then again I suspect the only difference is in the gear shift lever (the 65 has a round socket, the 66 appears more squarish). As such in theory I suspect you could make this 66 aftermarket work on a 65 however you would most likely have to commit to also changing out your gear shift lever to the 66 design. From what I can tell the 65's gear shift socket was notoriously flaky (it gets worn and really lose). I would not be surprised if the design change here was Ford trying to address that problem. However if you did this you would have to give up the little green indicator light (the aftermarket unit seems to only have a simple, unlit, pointer).

I have a a couple of the original 65 collars because I am in the midst of restoring my column shift (and I DEFINITELY want to retain the little green light...). It will be a few months before I'm done but thereafter I may have one of these left over that I am willing to part with... so if you haven't had any luck around the end of 2019 send me a PM as I might be able to hook you up.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)