Changing out the steering section on a 1964 Comet

Activities Sponsored by Comet Forum Members
corky.broughton

Changing out the steering section on a 1964 Comet

Post by corky.broughton »

I need your thoughts from owners of a 1960 thru 1964 Comet/Falcon or 1965 to 66 Comet owners: I plan to change out the steering linkage of my 1964 Comet to resemble a 1965 Comet/Falcon Steering section. I understand by doing this, my car will handle differently and drive better. My car was a 6 cylinder but now has a sbf in it. My 1964 Comet retains the 6 cylinder steering box. I mentioned this because I understand my steering box has a one inch shaft. I have purchased a center link from a manual v8 Comet/Falcon and all the parts that will need to be replaced, Center link from a manual v8 1965 Comet/Falcon, inner/outer tie rods, idler arm along with a bracket. I understand the center section link that I purchased fits a 1 1/8 shaft. Do I have to change the steering box out or can I replace the pitman arm from a 1965 Falcon Manual v8 car to get everything hooked up? I have two pitman arms, one from the 6 cylinder and one from a v8 Manual steering. I have been told and read that I need to replace the steering box due to the shaft size. I need your thoughts if this truly has to be done? I hate the thought of changing out my the steering box on my 1964 Comet when the center link appears to connect to the box by a pitman arm. Any thoughts? :roll: :roll: :roll: Corky

poboyjo65

Re: Changing out the steering section on a 1964 Comet

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think you are set already, if you have an idler arm & bracket for 65s. your six cylinder car should have a 1'' shaft on the sector which is what you need for a 65 pitman arm which should have 1'' shaft hole. you mentioned having 2 pitmans, just measure the hole & make sure it is a 1''.
this is a good guide & should have any answers for you that you need;
http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs/St ... pgrade.pdf

you didnt say but I hope you got 65 spindles too!
Johno

corky.broughton

Thanks John, I was hoping you would write your thoughts about this situation. I have read the article you sent and that is one of the reasons I'm asking for assistance. According to the article I need to change out the steering box. By the way, I'm running granada brakes and calibers on the front. Keep in mind, the center link I purchased and I'm planning on using is setup for a 1 1/8 inch shaft. My second reason for asking assistance is: Can I use one of the two pitman arms I have for my current Comet? The current steering shaft in the car is setup for a 1 inch shaft but the center link I would like to use is for a 1 1/8 inch shaft. I have two pitman arms one is for a 1 inch shaft and the second one I think is setup for 1 1/8 inch shaft. The second pitman is from a 1965 Falcon Sprint, v8 manual donor car. I'm not sure if it is for a 1 1/8 inch or 1 inch. I will measure it to get the correct dimensions. Thanks again for your thoughts. I hope to see your car at the Comet Gathering this year. It really looks good in the picture. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :D :D :D Corky

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Corky re read the article,you are missing something! if you have a v8 born 64 car it is the bigger shaft. but since your car was born a 6cyl it should have a 1'' shaft. 64 cyl cars came with a 1'' shaft,,,, which is what all boxes were in 65, both v8 & the 6cyl. Even if someone changed your steering box & you have a 1 1/8'' steering sector shaft you can get a 67 stang pitman arm to keep from changing steering box . but what you need to do now is make sure the parts that you've acquired are 65 parts by looking at the pics in that article & comparing to your new parts.
corky.broughton wrote: the center link I would like to use is for a 1 1/8 inch shaft.

:?: the center link does not connect to the shaft, it connects to the pitman arm. If the pitman arm is indeed from a 65 falcon it is a 1'' shaft but measure it to be sure or look for a part number on it. If you indeed got all 65 falcon v8 steering links/parts then you should be set since you went with the granada spindles.

Yea I gotta find or build a high geared chunk to slap in for the trip to pf. Merry Christmas to you too & a Happy new year! :D
Johno

corky.broughton

John, I ordered a 1967 pitman arm (1 1/8 inch). Not sure this will help my situation. My current steering box is one inch and my center link is for a 1 1/8 inch pitman arm. The issue is that the pitman arm will not fit properly on the 1 inch splined steering box in my car. That is the reason the article states replace the steering box. Have any ideas on what I can do to to use the 1 1/8 inch splined pitman arm on a 1 inch splined steering box? Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :D :D :D Corky

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You said you have a 65 falcon pitman,use it .If it is a 65 falcon it is a 1 ''. send the other pitman back. Your centerlink does not attach to ANY shaft ,PERIOD!
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah Corky the center link can be used with EITHER a 1" or 1 1/8" pitman arm. The center link is not made for one or the other.
Sounds like you have the right parts. You just have to use the correct pitman.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

corky.broughton

Thanks Joe, I ordered a 1967 mustang pitman arm just to make sure I have my bases loaded when I tear into this front end. :D :D :D Corky