Comet's bring big Money

Activities Sponsored by Comet Forum Members
corky broughton

Comet's bring big Money

Post by corky broughton »

Was anybody able to catch the Mecum's Auto Action today. There were two 1965 Comets sold. Don Nickelsons drag comet went for $410,000 and another drag comet sold and owned by a ford dealer (Spencer???) originally, sold for $70,000 dollars. The Don N. car was a B stock dragster back in the day with eight stacks on a small block V8 . The prices should help with the sales of the comets in the future. I just hope everyone realizes the cars sold have a lot of history behind them and that was reason for the big money. Looking forward to the upcoming Comet Gathering June 5-7th in Pigeon Forge, TN., Mountain Breeze Hotel. Lots of fun. :D :D Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :D :D Corky

tinnocker

Re: Comet's bring big Money

Post by tinnocker »

At one time they had one of Dyno Don's Comets up the road from Pigeon Forge at Sevierville in Floyd Garrett's car museum. Lot's of nice cars in this museum, mostly muscle cars.

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Dyno Don's car is in Ames Okla last I knew....click here for a video of the of cars in the museum owned by Brent Haylek. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JtAQ4HGx0 He has a boat load of really cool cars and you can see them for free. My Falcon Club went there a few years back and Brent let us tour the museum by ourselves. He was busy tuning one of the 11 Cobra Jets he had bought for an upcoming race. I was like a kid in a candy store. :mrgreen: He is really a cool guy.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That mecum auction was over a year ago. I've seen the reruns a few times. the other 65 was called Cyanide Cyclone. :D
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Cyanide is a small block Comet,restored! Dyno Don's 65 is a so-called restoration,has A LOT of controversy surrounding it!! The builder states it was NOT a rebody,if you had seen what was left of that car ,it has to be a rebody as not much was left of the original Comet!.The Dyno Don 64 Comet in Brent's collection is also shrouded in doubt of it being an original 64 Comet belonging to Dyno Don,as a lot of his cars are considered to be recreations!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

corky broughton

Post by corky broughton »

Thanks Roy,

I had heard there was some issues related to if Don's 65 Comet was the original or not. I understood that Don's car originally had a altered wheel-base. The car being auctioned was not altered, I was not sure if that was true for Don's B class car or not. The car being auctioned off had eight stacks for its carbs which were impressive on the small block V8 but I cannot image running them down the strip and keeping them tuned.

GMSnowBall. The link to the Oklahoma museum was excellent. Glad someone takes the time to keep the cars running, restored, and around. I would love to walk the museum someday. The old stuff is really bringing big money these days. I'm glad I got into the Mercury I have.

Thanks for sharing guys, :D :D Merry Christmas :D :D, Corky