oil presure

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
wvfarmboy

oil presure

Post by wvfarmboy »

wgat kinda oil presure are you men runing in your 200 cid motors, and what are you using for motor oil?

62Cometman

Re: oil presure

Post by 62Cometman »

Depending on how worn your oil pump is, over 20 psi warm at idle is pretty common, on a new build it can be upwards of 40 psi. suggested oil for the inlines was 10-30 if its a new build synthetic is suggested, otherwise a good conventional oil like your Valvoline or mobil with a zinc modifier should be added. Companies like penn grade or lucas or amsoil offer a oil specifically with zinc additive already in them for hot rods these can be more expensive but they are good insurance.
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

What kind of Zinc Modifier? Sad to say I’ve never even heard of that. I do use the Lucas oil additive in my bikes and truck. And I’ve used Marvel Mystery oil to free up siezed motors, but I don’t know if those have zinc in them?
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

The stuff i use is from Hy-per lube but any ZDDP additive would work lucas makes one that is called a break in additive, i would stay away from that or any that call themselves a break in additive as they may have extra detergents that could be harmfull in extended use, but there are several out there from edelbrock, rislone, ZDDPlus, torco, eastwood even makes some
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Awesome. Thanks for the info cometman.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.