64 Comet Hot Start problem....

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance

64 Comet Hot Start problem....

Postby comet1268 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am

I did a quick search on the site and didn't see any info on hot start problems. I have 64 Comet. I had my carb totally overhauled here a year ago by KP carbs on recommendation and I highly do the same. Fantastic. Here is the link to his site. http://www.kpcarbs.net/home.html. Also, I installed Pertronix electronic ignition.

Anyway, car is running good. Cold start, No problem at all, fires right up. After tooling around town a little bit (it's been in the 90's down here in Georgia), it gives me a hard time getting started if I don't get it on the first turn over. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure it is flooded. FYI, I replaced the sending unit to get the old fuel gauge functional within the week. I have fuel filter inline. I don't think it is contaminate. I have done minimal adjustment on the carb since it came all preset from KP carbs but, advice on adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya'll. I just thought I'd go to the best resource.

comet1268

Re: 64 Comet Hot Start problem....

Postby 62Cometman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:34 am

Float level set too high is my guess, i had pretty much that exact issue and i could hold the pedal to the floor let the carb air out and after about 5-7 seconds of cranking i could finally get it to start. I pulled my carb off lowered the float level a little say about 1/16-1/8 inch and solved my problem. Basically what was happening was all the fuel in the carb bowl would hot soak and expand so much that a bunch of fuel would dump down into the intake, if i let it sit for long enough it would still start no problem but if i wanted to start it up right away it was a hassle. After lowering it starts up every time and never had a hot soak issue since.
62Cometman

Postby 65_Rat_Merc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 am

I have the exact same problem. I've just lowered my float a fuzz and will post later this evening if it solves my problem!!!
65_Rat_Merc

Postby Groover » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 am

I have the same problem on extremely hot days. if you don't already have one, consider a carb spacer.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...
Groover

Return to Small Six Performance