What carb is this? And a couple questions around missing/vac

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
hibernatingbear

What carb is this? And a couple questions around missing/vac

Post by hibernatingbear »

Hey guys,

I've been searching around trying to figure out what carb I have in my 63 Comet 170. I thought it was just a stock holley carb but there is a wire coming off the automatic choke area that connects to the coil. Made me think it was an electric choke. So I'm at a loss. If I can figure out what it is, I will be able to work on my idle and be able to order a rebuild kit for it.

Please ignore the dirty engine bay. The valve cover gasket has been leaking for probably the last year + so I've been delaying taking on the job to fix it, replace everything worn out and clean it. But I will this weekend hopefully.

The wire I mentioned connects on the left side of picture and goes into that sheath down to the coil.

The reason I'm asking is because most mornings I have a rough cold start, takes 2 or 3 times to start it. Feels like it's lacking fuel. Once it is running, it misses and idles a little rough. It will stay like that until it's been warmed up. Then when I'm cruising at highway speeds it feels like there is a slight miss/hesitation when I'm coasting at certain speed. Say 60mph. If I'm accelerating I don't notice it, but that doesn't mean it's not happening still.

I don't know when the last time it had a tune up, so that is in the works as well, but a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

I also noticed a couple spots that most likely are leaking air. Potential vacuum leaks. Since I don't have a reference just yet as to this carb setup, can you guys let me know if these hoses are something that I should be concerned with asap. Are they possibly causing my issues?

Old hose, loosely fitted.

S shaped hose towards the middle of the photo, the top connection looks very loose. It goes to a metal line and down under the car, I think towards the trans but not sure.

poboyjo65

Re: What carb is this? And a couple questions around missing

Post by poboyjo65 »

Make sure the base of the carb isn't loose from the rest of the carb. sometimes they will get loose.& look at the If so you'll have to take it off ,it is screwed on from the bottom of the carb. Spray some wd40 on it,around the base & vac lines while it is running to check for vacuum leaks. it will rev up if you spray it on a leak.
Johno