"Brush sound-swoosh swoosh" from engine during acceleration

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
hibernatingbear

"Brush sound-swoosh swoosh" from engine during acceleration

Post by hibernatingbear »

1963 Comet w/ a 70's 200ci. (4"/3-5" drop if it matters)

So recently I thought my DS front shoe was slightly dragging cause I was hearing that "swoosh swoosh swoosh" sound from worn out pads but I just did the front brakes a month ago. (shoes, not drums yet). I then realized this morning that I only hear the sound when I'm accelerating, soon as my foot is off the pedal it's quiet, it does get faster with speed up to about 35-40mph then I can't hear it but it could just be too fast or my engine is too loud.

I know this is vague and I'll try to record a video tomorrow, just not easy since I only hear it while driving.

Besides that, the only other thing I think to mention, is that when the engine is cold I hear a little belt whine for the first 30 seconds - 1 min. Not belt slipping/squealing just a rpm whine. Been meaning to check the belts just haven't had a chance.

Any info would be great guys!

And my dirty ride:
Since some will probably comment on it, I'm slowly striping the paint to bare metal then clearing it. Someone decided to spray over the original paint w/ rattle can flat black and painted over most of the trim too. I'm slowly fixing those mistakes.

poboyjo65

Re: "Brush sound-swoosh swoosh" from engine during accelerat

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had a speedo cable made a sound something like that, I think it was in an old ford truck. you could unhook it from the trans to test & see.

0000 steele wool is good to clean up & get the paint off the trim ,just make sure it is 4 ought (0000) or it will scratch. it is also a good glass cleaner, gets minor rust off chrome... I just cleaned up my thresholds with it. some alum trim that is anodized it wont help much.
Johno

hibernatingbear

poboyjo65 wrote:I had a speedo cable made a sound something like that, I think it was in an old ford truck. you could unhook it from the trans to test & see.

0000 steele wool is good to clean up & get the paint off the trim ,just make sure it is 4 ought (0000) or it will scratch. it is also a good glass cleaner, gets minor rust off chrome... I just cleaned up my thresholds with it. some alum trim that is anodized it wont help much.

Damn I hadn't thought of that; thanks!

As for the trim, I'm actually thinking about pulling it, filling the holes and having someone pinstripe down the sides where the trim was since it will be bare metal and you won't really see the chrome trim anyway. But thanks the tip, I'll clean it up no matter what.

hibernatingbear

Here's a video clip of the swoosh metal on metal sound:

https://flic.kr/p/uv6pYx

And here is one at idle in drive, if you listen closely you can hear a metal rattle/brush sound slightly. About half way through I put it in park to see if I could still hear it but I can't.

https://flic.kr/p/uMNXoF

Any more thoughts would be appreciated guys.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It cant be the speedo if it does it idling. couple other things come to mind. trans dust cover could have hit something & got bent with your new stance,& touching the torque converter. you could remove it to test. or motor shim between the trans & motor could be touching the flywheel or torque converter. also the cooling fan could be touching something. mine was hitting the hose clamp on the bottom rad hose when my motor mounts were broke/pulverised, letting the motor lean.
Johno