temp light

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
sursmilie64

temp light

Post by sursmilie64 »

Just got a stock 61 Comet. The high Temp light comes on but does not appear to be hot, no sparknock, steam, or loss of power.The sending unit gives me a ohm reading but I do not know what it should be. How do I resolve this problem? I got a mechanical gauge but the fitting is to big. Just to scared to run it as is. Its a real sweet bone stocker. 144ci,2 speed.

loman

Re: temp light

Post by loman »

Since you just got this car and are questioning the sender, I would buy a new sender. Before I installed it, I would ohm it out and compare it to the one you currently have for reference. If it proves to be bad, toss it in the trash. If it's good, you have a spare. If you want to use the mechanical gauge and the fitting is to big, you can go to the parts store and should be able to find a reducer fitting so you can install your probe for the mechanical gauge.

sursmilie64

Post by sursmilie64 »

I ohmed the sender and got 61-23 ohms, it appears to be working. Was wondering about the gauge itself. the sender is hard to find around local parts stores they say they only have sender for a light , is that the same? A reducer will not work with the mechanical gauge I have ,Looking for an electrical one. My main thing is -IS it running hot if there is no steam, sparknock , or loss of power?. Its killing me not to drive my new Comet.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It very well can be the dash gauge at fault,the sending unit and the gauge ain't a matched pair when it comes to reading correct,,,,I built a 65F100 yrs ago with a 65 289,,drove it down the road ,it read hot,but I knew it wasn't,so thru out the yrs I had saved 5or6 sending units,so I started changeing one at a time ,drive it down the road ,watch the gauge ,I finaly found one that made the gauge read where I wanted the needle to set,by the way that was close to 30yrs ago and I still have that truck,and it ain't never run hot or showed to be hot...POP
pop/glenda

sursmilie64

Post by sursmilie64 »

Well it looks like its getting to hot.I installed a mechanical gauge and it got to 210. Thinking now its the head ?I checked the external stuff. Is there a easy way to tell? I have a good 200 head. What does it take to install it on a 144? How many thousands needs to be milled off? Guess there is nothing to do but remove and cc the heads.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Have you tested your thermostat or tried a new one?
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Do you have a temp guage or a light or both? Sender for a light is a small part. Sender for a gauge is a huge bulb like piece.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ARE you the radiator is in good shape? POP
pop/glenda