3 Speed Tranny in my 62

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

3 Speed Tranny in my 62

Post by Adams »

Hello All, I have been reading my shop manual which mentions that the 3 speed manual transmission has a 'vent', and if it's clogged, it could force oil out of gaskets, seals, etc. has anyone seen one of these vents? Where is it? The top has a cover plate, but I can't see a vent in it, unless it's covered by gunk! Thanks

popscomet

Re: 3 Speed Tranny in my 62

Post by popscomet »

If it vents thru that top cover ,there will be a tiny hole,and it is very possible it's clogged,there fore causing pressure to build up inside from heat and forceing grease out,,you will have to remove the tranny to find that small hole,you might take a nail or ice pick and unglog it...if you remove the cover be sure you don't break the gasket,but if you do just put a bead of sealer on top of tranny after wiping it and top clean.I have the same thing happen to me and even on AT trans,and rear end houseings,,when the vent gets stopped up and pressure builds,fluids will leak out..............pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Pop, Thanks for the reply. I haven't found the hole yet, but there's a lot of crud to clean off. I read on another forum that someone was able to get a wrench on the bolts and remove the cover with the Trans in the car. He said the gasket was solid, covering the whole space under the cover, with 2 holes in it to let air get to the vent. His was a 65...don't know if 62 is the same. I have no oil coming out of the seals, but the whole Trans is gunky from oil that's come from other places, like the top and where the levers go in the side. Didn't know if relieving some pressure might help with that. Chris. (62 2.77 non-synchro 3 speed)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

That top gasket is more then likely solid as well,,,,,,been so many yrs since I messed with one of those little cracker box tranny's,I had forgotten.....yrs later that top cover had a raised spot 'bout the size of your thumb witha tiny hole in the middle ,but if you turned it over ,a baffle was spot welded in 2 places covering the hole ,thus not letting grease splash out,,the same as a valve cover ...then the gasket was open in the middle and just to seal twix the bolts (holes) on the lip.....grease may running down the sides and it just appears to be leaking from the shifter levers on the side.....I'd spray it down with some degreaser and rinse off and keep a watch on it to try and see where the grease is coming from,,you can do that in the drive-way while laying on your side,you might get alittle wet and dirty,but what the heck !! thats what they make showers and washing machines for and we all have those....I doubt this but the tranny can be over filled with grease,,pull the fill plug from the case with car sitting level,if grease runs out,LET IT run 'til it stops,put plug back in and your good to go,if no grease runs out stick your little finger in the hole ,if you can touch grease ,your still good to go pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Got under the car today--as best I could, I scraped the top plate off. For the life of me, I couldn't find a vent hole or even a raised area. But you are right, Pop, I'll need to drop the tranny to do any work--it's just too tight. I was able to get a wrench on the cover bolts to tighten up that gasket, so we'll see if that helps. Other than that, car is running fine--driving it to work tomorrow. Chris

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Got under the car today--as best I could, I scraped the top plate off. For the life of me, I couldn't find a vent hole or even a raised area. But you are right, Pop, I'll need to drop the tranny to do any work--it's just too tight. I was able to get a wrench on the cover bolts to tighten up that gasket, so we'll see if that helps. Other than that, car is running fine--driving it to work tomorrow. Chris
GOOD ...if it ain't broke ......don't fix it :!: :wink: :wink: :wink: pop..................by the way,those bolts are easy snapped,so pay attention when tighten,and that hole is so small you'll never see it without tranny coming out,after all it don't take a big hole to be a vent :D
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Well, I finally found the tiny vent hole in the top of my tranny and cleaned it out. Coincidence or not, there's no more fluid being forced out. It was near the front right-hand corner of the cover plate. Hopefully I can post some recent pics of my 85hp screamer soon...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Well, I finally found the tiny vent hole in the top of my tranny and cleaned it out. Coincidence or not, there's no more fluid being forced out. It was near the front right-hand corner of the cover plate. Hopefully I can post some recent pics of my 85hp screamer soon...
IT's no coincidence,you opened up the vent,there fore the pressure can't build up and force the grease out,,,,,,and try to have it level when re-filling,,,if you can stick your little finger in the fill hole and touch grease any at all,it'll be just fine........pop
pop/glenda