My New Engine

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
lavron
Site Admin

My New Engine

Post by lavron »

Would like to say this is my engine build thread, that won't likely happen for a while, but this is a tear the engine apart thread.

I picked up my new 200 I6 on Friday, so I unloaded it out of the truck today (Saturday), pulled the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel so I could mount it on the engine stand (they really don't build stands for us 6 guys).

The engine is locked up and I have a good idea why, it was sitting in a car with no hood and no air cleaner, the guy I was buying from said he had just removed the hood recently and sold it, but really didn't know anything about the motor condition (it is a salvage yard more or less) he sold it too me cheap so I thought it was worth the risk, I am going to rebuild it anyway. I pulled the dip stick and noticed it was very full and the stuff at the end doesn't quite look like oil.

I pulled the plugs and water poured out of cylinder 3, but the plugs actually looked good, I should also note that antifreeze kept leaking out of the rad hoses and it was bright green and looked fresh, none of the water anywhere else had antifreeze in it, I drained the oil from the pan and got a lot of water before the oil started flowing, I would guess over 3 quarts even though I did not measure it, if I was guessing it had quite a lot of water go down the carburetor throat.

I stripped the rest of the accessories off the engine. (yes I broke 3 manifold bolts off :cry: )

The block and exhaust manifold are both '68 castings but the head is a '69 casting, I am guessing the engine was original to the '72 Maverick Grabber it came out of and they were still using up old parts or it could have been a rebuilt engine, anyone know if Ford just had big warehouses full of engine blocks, heads and other castings? I can't imagine having That much inventory that they were still using 4 year old parts.

Basically I got everything off the motor and turned it upside down and drained all the water that would come out, then I sprayed some penetrating oil in the spark plug holes, put a plastic bag over it and shoved it against the wall, if I get a chance next week I will pull it out and maybe try and degrease it and pull the oil pan off and the valve cover to see how those look inside.

You guys think I should just go ahead and pull the head while I'm at it? It will probably be a while before I actually work on the engine but I would like to get it freed up while I wait, I can always pull the head and put it back on before I shove it back against the wall to stay for for awhile.

I know most guys are not too excited about a little 6, but I like working on them (my current engine is multi-carbs, cam, header, etc), after all, I am a Comet guy so you know I like to be different and challenges.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Re: My New Engine

Post by popscomet »

Have said on here a few times...I like a 6 cyl ford,I looked and looked for a 240 cu in 6 to put back into my 1966 f100 when I replaced the 352,couldn't find one so went back with a 390,and thats what I like the most when it comes to my 88f150,it has a 300 6 in it.......pop
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

I'll be interested in this six build thread as well. One of the many crazy things my son and I discuss on those long road trips is building the baddest six we can to put in our comet. Turbo, etc and see how bad we can make it. Thankfully we arrive at our location before I start spending any money.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This my current engine, it is a bit dirty but there is really nothing wrong with it,just the 170 is a 4 main engine and the 200 a 7 main and of course a few more cubes in the same space.

There are just a few things I want off my old engine and can't decide whether to buy some new and leave it in tact, it has a higher lift cam and the Mallory dual point and adjustable rocker arms. I am thinking about looking for a different set of rockers and maybe a different grind cam, I think I will pull the Mallory however and install a petronix system in it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It was nice morning so I decided to use some degreaser on the engine, my power washer is broken so I just hosed it off.
While I was at it I thought I would pull the oil pan and look at the bottom end, the beauty of 7 mains, everything looks ok just a little rust on some of the counter weights.
while I am at it I may as well pull the valve cover and see what is there, not too bad just a little sludge but I have seen worse.
I have gone this far I figure it wouldn't be much to pull the head, oh nasty.
3 and 4 are both at the bottom or the stroke, cylinder 3 shot water out of it when I pulled the spark plugs out.
When you are at this point, really pulling the pistons is not too hard, maybe I can see which ones are stuck, well they all came right out (relatively) except #5
I could tap it down with the hammer handle, but it couldn't come back up past the rust ring, I tried scotch brite but it wouldn't do anything so I pushed the piston as low as it would go and honed the cylinder, then the piston slid right out.
Well now the block is about bare.
The crank and cam are still there but thought the safest place for the crank is bolted in the block even though I have another 200 short block I think I will pull the crank and connecting rods out of it because a couple of the rods are pretty crusty looking and I would rather use a crank that had not been subjected to water.

Piston #6 looked like this, anyone have an idea what would do this, none of the others look like this.
Maybe something was dropped in the plug hole? One had a broken ring but I can't remember if it was 6.

If I can find my spring compressor I might pull the head apart as well sometime, none of the valves are stuck but I would like to see under them.

That was my little project this morning degreasing my engine. :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

First thought is something was dropped in there, but the 2 areas where the pits are have stains, so maybe water rotted the aluminum? pieces of rust caused dissimilar metal corrosion ? Just an uneducated guess :roll: :?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FROM where I'm sitted.you'll be lucky if that block clears up at 60 over
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

You would probably know better than me Pops, I guess there is only one way to find out, unless I come across another one before I am ready to work on it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I got the cam pulled out and swapped the crank with the parts engine, was in town so I stopped at the local chain parts store to see if they still had the machine shop in Springfield, which they do so I got kinda some ball park figures for the block work, seems high too me but I haven't done anything like this in nearly 30 years.

To tank the engine (which includes magna fluxing it), changing all the freeze plugs, boring, honing, decking and balancing was in the neighborhood of $750, does that sound right? Balancing was about $250 of that so I suppose I could forgo that and save some money. certain things like freeze plugs I could do myself and save another $25.

Sounds like my engine may sit in the corner now for a while as I try and figure out how I am going to finance this little project. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Adams

Post by Adams »

That's probably right...my local shop said a complete rebuild of my 200 would be around or above 1k. So, like you, it's still in the corner for now. Fortunately, my motor seems good--it was running in a Mustang before the guy did a V-8 swap. I may try to do the whole thing myself except for the valve job. I think I can get away with a light cylinder honing. Miraculously, the whole motor was dry, with no leaks. I'll need to figure out if it was rebuilt, so I know what size rings it needs.