Carb Question

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Carb Question

Post by Adams »

Hey Guys, I have a burning question about my carb. It's the Holley 1940 1v on my 144 six. I was just noticing it has no spark control valve. There seems to be an opening for one that was capped (and not threaded) from the factory (this was the Autolite replacement for the original carb). What I'm saying is that the carb seems to have been built without a valve...it's not "just missing." There is a vacuum line that goes to the distributor, like usual.
My questions are: 1) what's up with that? 2) does a 1940 not need a scv? 3) what should I be seeing as far as spark advance with my timing light right when the throttle opens and vacuum drops, then when rpm's and vacuum recover? Thanks!

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Carb Question

Post by lavron »

I don't know for sure, if I get time tomorrow I will go out in the shed and look at mine, I have a big pile of them I bought when I was setting up my Offyx3 years ago, every time I saw one in the junk yard I bought it, I ended up hating them, I had to constantly adjust the floats on them so I was dumping gas out every time I did that and they had a tendency to freeze up on cold damp mornings. I would be driving along and the car would start to sputter so I would pull over and pop the hood and the carbs would be covered in a layer of frost, I would sit a minute and the heat from the engine would thaw them out and I would continue on my way. I put the 1100s on and never had that problem again plus I could adjust the floats if needed without spilling gas.

I always thought the Holleys looked cooler though and wished I could find glass float bowls for them.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Adams

Post by Adams »

Yeah, let me know what you see. My carb is the model 1940, which doesn't have the bowl that bolts on horizontally like other Holleys. This was actually a Holley/Autolite. I'm mostly wondering if I need a SCV, which this doesn't have. My car runs smoothly, with no dead spots. But I can't tell with this tiny 144 if I should be getting any more response from the carb/distributor.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Adams wrote: My carb is the model 1940, which doesn't have the bowl that bolts on horizontally like other Holleys. This was actually a Holley/Autolite.
Well I look and see if I have one of those as well in the pile of carbs out there, I am like a Ford 1 barrel hoarder :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058