mxking03

heated carb spacer plate

Post by mxking03 »

i was wondering what does it do and do i really need it if i live in texas
what can i replace the part with other than the stock plate

Adams

Re: heated carb spacer plate

Post by Adams »

I've read that it is not necessary in warm climates...it's there mostly to warm the carb in cold weather. Some folks recommend removing it to keep the fuel mixture cooler and improve performance. I live in Texas, and have never really noticed a problem with it...my six runs so cool anyway, I don't think it matters. In fact, maybe it even helps to 'regulate' the temp at the carb base.....if you want, you can just bypass it with the heater hose and cap off the ends.

Maine Pilot

Post by Maine Pilot »

I'm not sure exactly what the function of the "heated carb spacer plate," but perhaps someone who's familiar with the original design of the carburetor should answer this one.

In aviation, carburetor icing is a serious problem. All carbs work the same--they atomize fuel for better combustion in the cylinders. This atomization is the same principle of how refrigeration works: by breaking up liquid fuel into molecules mixed with air, the fuel evaporates which draws away heat; i.e., the temperature drops. (Just hold one of your fingers into the path from any spray can and feel the difference--the principle is the same.) Now, mix in water molecules, (humidity), and ice can form in the restriction throat or the throttle plate, cutting off the incoming air and fuel. In aircraft this can be fatal, but in cars what you may find is a loss of performance or possibly stalling.

What makes this carburetor icing insidious is the vaporization that's going on usually reduces the ambient temperature 30-50 degrees F. So, it's possible you may be operating your vehicle when the outside air temp is 80* but in the carb the temp drops down to 30*--below the freezing point of water.

In my '66 Comet, there's a tube that captures warm air around the exhaust manifold and directs it into the air filter assembly. In your car it's possible the heated carb spacer plate is present to prevent icing. If that what its function is, I'd probably leave it in, but someone here on the forum would know for sure.
My wife says I only have 2 faults. I don't listen...and something else

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

When I put the the triple Holleys on my six the heater spacer thing came out, I would ice up the Holleys on cool damp mornings, when I switched to Autolite carbs they did not freeze up. The nice thing was all I had to do is stop for about 5 minutes and the engine heat thawed them right out and usually they would not freeze again. The main reason I switched out the carbs was that I was constantly tinkering with the floats on the Holley and got tired of dumping gas all over everything when I took the float bowl off, Autolites pretty much set them and was done.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058