Dizzy question...Pops?....

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Dizzy question...Pops?....

Post by Adams »

Hello All...and Pops...I installed my distributor on my new 200 (still on the stand). I have engine at TDC, and put the dizzy in with the rotor facing #1 cyl. On cap. However, I'm confused, when the rotor points at #1, the cam lobe is on its flat side. I always thought the points should be open when rotor is pointing to the cap post. Any thoughts?

ants875

Re: Dizzy question...Pops?....

Post by ants875 »

Been to lon since I worked on points buy don't they fire when the points close?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOUR safe !! as long as you have it in time by the time they need to fire,they;ll be open....so stick her in there and fire that baby up !!pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Points always fire just as they 'open'. Set the crank at the timing mark you want to fire at idle then turn the dist so the points just open and you should be set timing wise. You can connect a spare spark plug to a wire coming out of the coil and ground the plug. turn the key on and back off on the crank then come back up to your timing mark and as the points open the plug should fire.
Or you can leave the key off and connect an ohmeter to the points and ground. With the points closed you should measure zero ohms or near that. then as you turn the crank you should see the ohmeter go to a high resistance or infinity as the points open.
Your set good enough to fire it up. then do a fine tuning of your timing.

Replace the points with a Pertronix and be done with all this stuff with points forever. Keeps the points and lead wire and condensor in a ziplock bag in the glove box as a backup. I do and have never needed it but it was there should I have needed it.
Ron

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks, guys....I looked at my 144 that's still running in the car, brought it to TDC, pointed the rotor at #1, and it also has closed points (in the middle of the flat side of dist. cam.). So I guess I've got it right, just expected to see the points wide open at TDC. Maybe with initial advance, vacuum advance, and any lag time when the secondary in the coil releases its charge, that's where it ends up. As long as I know the dist is not 180 backwards, it should be good enough to start with. I'll post some pics when I get to my laptop. Finished last night with timing set, new cam, lifters, gaskets, and seals. Won't be long before she goes in!

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

Have you considered a petronix ignition module instead of points?

Adams

Post by Adams »

Yes, thought about that or even a Duraspark II, or aftermarket with built in coil. But that's down the road. For the driving I do, points are fine. Plus, I'd have to convert to an alternator to use one of those other choices. I kind of like the originality.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

You don't need to change anything else to add a Pertronix, it's a simple install. Well worth it.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Ron....the way you described setting the timing with an ohm meter is exactly how I set the timing on my 1948 Ford 8N tractor last week. :lol: The main difference was that I set it with the distributor on the work bench. :shock: The distributor mounts to the front of the engine with an off-center tang that engages into a matching slot in the end of the camshaft, so you can't install it in the wrong position.
Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Ron....the way you described setting the timing with an ohm meter is exactly how I set the timing on my 1948 Ford 8N tractor last week. :lol: The main difference was that I set it with the distributor on the work bench. :shock: The distributor mounts to the front of the engine with an off-center tang that engages into a matching slot in the end of the camshaft, so you can't install it in the wrong position.
Jim
Jim,
I take it the dist was connected to the front end of the cam?

Have done it that way many times. A simple way to test the ign is to set the crank so the points are just at the point of almost ready to open. then connect a wire from the coil to a spare plug that's grounded. turn the key on and with the slop in the dist rotor just turn it some more, you can see the spark across the point gap and you should see a spark at the plug. Do the same test with a Pertronix III installed which has multi-strike capabilty and when the plug fires you get to see muliple sparks not just one spark. You can actually hear the difference when it fires a series of sparks in succesion. Sounds like a buzz saw. Seeing and hearing that makes the single spark using points seem punny.

Some of the later engines in the era of emission controls, even fords ( I think it was fords) had a pin in the block that locked the dist at one place so you can't move the dist. Apparently that was their way of keeping anyone from changing the timing setting.

Ever see the gadget you stuck in the dist that had like a compass built into it and your turned the dist to read timing degrees. that was many years ago. It wasn't around long and disappeared but probably would work.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ON those old tractors ,it did not have to be on the motor,,,I have a 9n with the dizzy mounted on the front of the motor...pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

The 'new' motor. Trying to decide if it will be easier to install with or without the head. Best attaching points for the lift????

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

That depends on just how much STRAIN you want to put on your back bending over the fenders,,but thats all on you ..whats easy for me may not be for you,,,or vice -versa....good luck !!....pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

I would rather build it all before I put it in, but haven't figured out what lifting points I would use--If anybody has a suggestion, let me know. I've read that one person just put long bolts in the left rear and right front head bolt holes (with head on) to do the lift, then put the regular bolts back in and torqued them.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Put the head and exhaust manifold on and attach to the left front and to the manifold with long enuff chain or strap,that may give you the correct angle,just make sure you have ample amount of threads run in the block,that will get you started ,,does your comet have an AT tranny? If not make sure you put the pilot shaft bushing is in place in the end of the crankshaft,I always put alittle grease on my finger and wipe it ,if not I still clean the end of shaft and the hub on the TRQ converter and use a smear of grease.....you can add the oil and spin the oil pump with a drill motor while running in reverse and purge the oiling system,don't forget to spin on the oil filter,if filter just happens to be in the way while installing,spin it back off..........when you get ready to start it after it's all in,,,DO NOT add antifreeze,just water,,if you have a leak some where there is no need of wasteing your antfreeze,,wait til all leaks are corrected before adding antifreeze.I'd put a brand new 180 thermostat in it,,,,thats what I run year around.......keep us informed on your progress,and we all wish you the best of LUCK and as you well know ....need any help ....post it and it'll show up from someone....... :D :) POP
pop/glenda