Dizzy question...Pops?....

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Re: Dizzy question...Pops?....

Post by Adams »

Thanks, Pops. Yes, I thought I'd take the gear off the old dizzy, and use the shaft in a drill to spin the oil pump. I've already put in a 180 thermostat. I'll check out the lifting points. (it's a 3 speed manual)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

GOOD !! just make sure your pilot shaft bushing is in the end of the crankshaft,,,,,what we do is find the correct socket and extensions to reach down into the block with the dizzy out and put it in a drill motor ,we do not take the gear off the shaft,,unless you happen to have a spare dizzy,you don't really really have to purge it 1st but I sure like to,,,,did you use plenty of bearing butter when you built it??????most of the time your gonna use 1/4 drive socket and extensions,AND we always tape every joint together with a strip of duct tap to make sure nothing comes apart and falls down into the oil pan....good luck ,all this is JMO and the way I do it...thanks ..when I answer a post I give my most honest opinion and express in words the way I do things,they may or may not be the best ,,but like that ELVIS"S song ..I did it my way....
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Yes, thought about that or even a Duraspark II, or aftermarket with built in coil. But that's down the road. For the driving I do, points are fine. Plus, I'd have to convert to an alternator to use one of those other choices. I kind of like the originality.
OL POP is gonna clue you in on the best way to polish a set of points,,this was shown to me when I was just a kid by a old old man and it works better then anything.....with the points closed ,take a screw driver and spread them open just a tad then take a dollar bill end and put between the points and remove the screw driver and let the points clamp onto the dollar bill and gentley pull the money out of the points,,do this 2or 3 times and those points well be polshed and ready to fire....I drag a dollar thru brand new ones even before I put them in the dizzy,,you can use a 5-10 or even a 20 dollar bill,,but when I was shown this ,I didn't have any of those bills ,I was lucky to have a dollar,and sometimes I had to borrow one ....hang in there ...you'll get this little comet striking the way you want it to in no time.....POP
pop/glenda