Help! 200 head bolts

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Help! 200 head bolts

Post by Adams »

I'm installing the head on my rebuilt 200. I labeled where all the head bolts came from, and noticed the bolt that I have going in the 4th hole (from the left front) is machined flat on the side, like for an oil or water passage. Is this correct?? Thanks! Adams

Adams

Re: Help! 200 head bolts

Post by Adams »

ALSO, my new 200 rocker set (shaft and rockers, non adjustable) do not have the oil return opening and washer like on my old engine on the front shaft support. Did they quit using that, or did the rebuilder make a mistake and put a regular rocker tower on #1 instead of the correct one?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Adams wrote:I'm installing the head on my rebuilt 200. I labeled where all the head bolts came from, and noticed the bolt that I have going in the 4th hole (from the left front) is machined flat on the side, like for an oil or water passage. Is this correct?? Thanks! Adams
It is an oil passage, and I think there is an arrow cast in the head where it goes (????) On some I think the bolt is thinner on the upper part and not flat, I will try and go out and look at the one in pieces in my shed.

Can't remember on the rocker bolts so I am not much help there, it seems like the early 70's 200 I took apart the bolts all looked the same.

I will try and give you better answers later, my brain is not working too good this morning.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks, Keep the info coming...
Here's what I know, to clarify a bit...
*The 4th head bolt has a flat side apparently for oil flow, but I haven't read anything on this. I just installed it back where it came from when I tore it down (glad I numbered them!)
*The left rear head bolt has a thinner section to allow for oil flow...I've got that right.
*I put thread sealer on the front right head bolt, as it goes into the water jacket.
*With the rocker situation, it's not the rocker bolts, but the actual towers (pedestals, or whatever they are called). The front one on most engines is different, and has a drain passage for oil to exit the shaft and drain down to the block. Ive seen some post-64 pics where this seems to be gone, and the tower just looks like the others. The only difference I can see is that without the drain on the front end, there will be a bit more pressure, as the oil can only come out the small holes at each rocker. I'll try to post a pic of what I'm talking about. Thanks

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

One of the head bolts made that way for lubrication but don't know which one. I have seen that discussed on TFFN though. Ask there if nobody answers your question.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP don't know enuff about those head bolts to give an honest answer,,,so I won't commit....cause I sure don't want to give out false info :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :? pop
pop/glenda