Almost There!

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Almost There!

Post by Adams »

Well, the 200 is pretty much together. I spun the oil pump by taking the gear off the old distributor and spinning it with a drill. Everything up top is oiling correctly. Will be installing in the 62 in the next month or so.
It's come a long way...

comethead

Re: Almost There!

Post by comethead »

Lookin good!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Man 'all looks great.....OL POP likes a 6cyl FORD,,,,,and that 200 will take a whipping and keep on give-nn.....you'll be steppin in high cotton !
pop/glenda

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Looks nice Adams!

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Oh it looks great, I think you will be really happy with the change.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

Nice job,going to get a lot of reliable miles out of the little six.

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It is very hard to beat a 6cyl ford,,and that 200 ranks right at the top with all of them,,many years ago in my late teens there was a guy that I knew as kids that we use to build and ride bicyles together,that had a 60 2dr falcon with a 65 200 6 in it and he would never lift the hood nor tell what had been done to it,,but I can't start to count the races late at night that I've flag ed off with him up against v8's that he won...he didn't win them all ..but he flat won his share,,,,had another friend that had 312cu in thunderbird in a 60 ford PU that he thought was so tuff,,he got me to line up a race one night against the 200 falcon,that falcon put a ass kicken on the PU 3out of 3...that PU owner sucked hind TIT so bad he sold the truck ,and it was a very nice truck,but he said if this thing won't outrun a 6cyl ,my days of owning it are over,,and by jingo's he sold that thing for chump change just to get rid of it,this OLE BOY was from BLACK OAK ARK,way up in the hills,,he came down to the big city and was as out of place as a NUN in a beer joint playing pocket pool,you look up country in webster and his pic was there..pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Here's the latest...almost. As you can see, the new motor is in. Since taking the pic, I've replaced the generator, fan pulley, fan and belt. Pretty much just need to install the radiator, starter, battery, polarize the generator, and go for launch! Oh, yes, the clutch problem...still working on that...dropping the trans this weekend to see why the throwout bearing is having to travel so far, and still not disengaging the clutch. Oh, and Pops, back in the early 80's when I was in high school, I had a 66 Mustang with the 200 and 3 on the floor. It would beat most stock cars of the time for at least 1/8 of a mile. The V-8's of that era were not too strong. I had a friend who had a 79 Indy Pace Car Mustang with the turbo 4 cyl. He thought it was hot...I smoked him with my six!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Here's the latest...almost. As you can see, the new motor is in. Since taking the pic, I've replaced the generator, fan pulley, fan and belt. Pretty much just need to install the radiator, starter, battery, polarize the generator, and go for launch! Oh, yes, the clutch problem...still working on that...dropping the trans this weekend to see why the throwout bearing is having to travel so far, and still not disengaging the clutch. Oh, and Pops, back in the early 80's when I was in high school, I had a 66 Mustang with the 200 and 3 on the floor. It would beat most stock cars of the time for at least 1/8 of a mile. The V-8's of that era were not too strong. I had a friend who had a 79 Indy Pace Car Mustang with the turbo 4 cyl. He thought it was hot...I smoked him with my six!
COOL !!!! i rest my case,when I was 15 or 16 I had a 54 more door ford with a 223 cyl standard shift,my dad built a dump pipe for it,,,alot of v8's both ford and gm got smoked by that 6cyl ford....one night me and Glenda and a 5 piece band with all thier equipment were piled in it and I was gonna bark 2nd gear and blowed the clutch,,,,thats another story for another time....good luck pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Well, Fired up the new motor today...good news is it started right up and runs smoothly. BUT two problems: First, I have a rod hitting the bottom of the oil pan...it had been smushed when taken out of the donor car. Thought I hammered it out well enough, but I guess not. Gotta drop the pan now. SECOND, the car ran hot on the test drive, heating up to near overheating on just a one mile drive. Have new water pump, thermostat, and Temp sender. Will try old temp sender, but if it really is heating, will try removing/replacing thermostat. Engine ran very cool with old engine (same radiator). So the drama goes on...I must say,though,that you could feel the difference between a 144 and 200!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

WooHoo! Progress, excited to hear, I am sure you will get the issues sorted out 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I had the very same thing happen to a 6cyl that I traded for when I built a 64 2drht falcon back in the 70's,thought it was a rod knocking at 1st,the dent didn't look bad enuff ,,but it was worst then I thought.........did you put the therm in backwards or distort it with sealer?.....OR did you belch all the air pockets out when you filled it with water,,cause your block was bone empty to start with....just a few things to maybe get your mind to thinking........pop
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

I was very careful putting the thermostat in. I don't know about air pockets, although it took plenty of fluid when I filled it, and looking under the cap, seemed like water was circulating. We'll see. Went ahead and ordered a new pan--don't want to fight with the old one, and leaving the pan on the 144 I removed just in case I want to do something with it. ....you can see from my 'before' pic posted above on this thread how the pan was dented. But the rear of the pan seemed ok..guess it isn't.

Adams

Post by Adams »

Well, Happy to report that I changed out the thermostat, and it's cooling fine now. The other was a dud, I guess. Now just waiting for the new pan to arrive. Once that's in, I should be good to go and start passing those Smart Cars!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

$@&%^*% "new" parts!! I've even had MOTORCRAFT parts no good outta the box lately!! Glad that's all it was! Plenty of room for a turbo under there!! :mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)