Got the shakes. Please help

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
popscomet

Re: Got the shakes. Please help

Post by popscomet »

ants875 wrote:I'm pretty sure if you put a v8 in it it will fix the problem! :D

Ant
to me thats a cheap shot....if he was to jack it up and run a brand new one under it all his problems would be over also,,he might be doing the best he can with what he has to work with !! JMO POP
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Pop,

Lighten up it was a joke. No harm intended.

If your points are on and the timing is right. Have you adjusted the carb yet? Have you done a compression check yet? If you think it's missing I would not do anything else until you make sure the engine is good, check the compression first thing. If you have a burned valve as pop mentioned you will see it. Also have you double checked the firing order?

Ant

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

You know what gets me ?? this is off the subject of the shaking 6 or anything pretaining to this post,but what gets me is we have these new guys with thier comets and thats great,,but where do they find them?? I drive and look and hunt better then my trained huntin dogs and I can't find one to save my life,,they do not exsist around here,there ain't one to be found,,I know of one 65 that I have been trying to buy for years from my HS auto mech instrut who bought it new,but he rather watch it rot away then sell it,(thats word for word what he told me) back in HS I almost knocked him in the head with a ball peen hammer over his smart mouth,but I went on and contained myself,and went to GLENDA's GYM class and talked to her and cooled off,,,,anyway,,that's history and not thought of anymore...I look for a comet all the time and OL POP is very prone to wasteing gas and time just driving and looking for what ever I can find.....I'd love to find a 64 202 6 2dr,perfer stick shift.......I keep looking..they say where there's a will there's a way or something along those lines.....pop
pop/glenda

cypher

Post by cypher »

No, I'm sure. It feels like the vibration comes from the motor. I know these are old cars but it jerks bad. It didn't do it before. How can I tell if there is a bad valve
Last edited by cypher on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cypher

Post by cypher »

popscomet wrote:You know what gets me ?? this is off the subject of the shaking 6 or anything pretaining to this post,but what gets me is we have these new guys with thier comets and thats great,,but where do they find them?? I drive and look and hunt better then my trained huntin dogs and I can't find one to save my life,,they do not exsist around here,there ain't one to be found,,I know of one 65 that I have been trying to buy for years from my HS auto mech instrut who bought it new,but he rather watch it rot away then sell it,(thats word for word what he told me) back in HS I almost knocked him in the head with a ball peen hammer over his smart mouth,but I went on and contained myself,and went to GLENDA's GYM class and talked to her and cooled off,,,,anyway,,that's history and not thought of anymore...I look for a comet all the time and OL POP is very prone to wasteing gas and time just driving and looking for what ever I can find.....I'd love to find a 64 202 6 2dr,perfer stick shift.......I keep looking..they say where there's a will there's a way or something along those lines.....pop
Pop, I found mine on Craigslist. I'm In California and found it in Oregon.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

The right one will show up,,,besides,,I have so much going on right now ,,I need to do some up grades on the comet I have now,,,just can't find the time,,,racing season is here,that's every wk end sometimes twice in the same week end,,,we race 3 cars at times,,this week we will race 3 and maybe next wk end also....but thanks for the info...good luck on yours ....POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cypher wrote:No, I'm sure. It feels like the vibration comes from the motor. I know these are old cars but it jerks bad. It didn't do it before. How can I tell if there is a bad valve
with it running .pull a plug wire off one at a time and notice how the motor re-acts.....run a copression check on each cyl,,are a couple of things to do...........pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:
cypher wrote:No, I'm sure. It feels like the vibration comes from the motor. I know these are old cars but it jerks bad. It didn't do it before. How can I tell if there is a bad valve
with it running .pull a plug wire off one at a time and notice how the motor re-acts.....run a copression check on each cyl,,are a couple of things to do...........pop
I just thought of this....pull the valve cover off and inspect the valve springs,you might have one broke....pop
pop/glenda

cypher

Post by cypher »

so I bought a compression tool at harbor freight with 3 different size attachments but none of the attachments fit. Is there a certain one that I need to buy or am I doing it wrong?

ants875

Post by ants875 »

It goes in place of the spark plug, they really haven't changed the size in years I only really use one out of my set at the shop. You should be able to match it up to your spark plug. A lot of auto parts stores will lend you tools so I would take a plug in and ask if they have a compression tester that would work.

Ant

cypher

Post by cypher »

So I found one that worked. Here are the readings.
1= 125
2=125
3=120
4=125
5=125
6=120
I checked all spark plugs, wires, firing order, timing, and got the carb rebuilt. I was able to get rid of a lot of the misfiring feeling but I know its and old car so its not going to be quiet and smooth.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A couple of things about the little Ford 6 or to answer a couple of questions, in my experience :roll: It should run smooth, the 6 is internally balanced it does not need an offset weighted flywheel, to answer Pops question, yes they have harmonic balancers, and I agree one might want to check that (even though I am not sure how :P ) I know they can get out of balance. I am going to make the dumb suggestion and make sure your plug wires are in the correct order and I believe it is cast right in the top of the intake, I would think it would run poorly all the time if they were out of order, but stranger things have happened.

I am used to my 6 running so smooth you can't tell it is on, well except for the fact I was running dual exhaust and glass packs and the port divider always rattled starting a week after it was installed leading to an exhaust leak between the 3 and 4 cylinders.

Keeping working at it and I probably didn't have any suggestions to help.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

cypher

Post by cypher »

So I took the valve cover off today and ,S**T, there were shards of plastic the size of a finger nails all by the springs. Don't know where they came from. I hope I got all of them out. Can a bad PCV valve be causing part of the problem?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cypher wrote:So I took the valve cover off today and ,S**T, there were shards of plastic the size of a finger nails all by the springs. Don't know where they came from. I hope I got all of them out. Can a bad PCV valve be causing part of the problem?
It's possible for a chunk of that plastic to have worked it's way down into a valve and not letting it seal,and in away it would react as a burnt valve ,,,but that might be a far fetched ordeal..........where did the plastic come from??............... bad PVC could be a vacumn leak,I had one stick and caused oil to blow out all under the truck,was pulling a trailer ,had to stop on the side of the hwy to take a whiz and noticed oil dripping off the safty chains,raised the hood and pulled PCV out and it was stuck,I beat it against the VC and broke it loose to the point that I could hear it rattle when I shook,re-installed it and never had anymore trouble from it...never found out why it stuck in the 1st place,drove that 71 f100 240 6cyl for another 12tyrs and all was ok. POP
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Did Ford use the plastic timing gears on those 6s? I know they were popular for awhile and that could be where it came from.

Ant