Broken Stuck Bolts

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

Broken Stuck Bolts

Post by Adams »

Today's dilema...Was removing the exhaust manifold from my old 144...got all but 3 out. Two that are left have the heads broke off, with about 1/2 inch remaining out of head. The third is broke flush. I tried drilling on it, but my bits are being defeated. Is there a particular drill bit that would be best?

poboyjo65

Re: Broken Stuck Bolts

Post by poboyjo65 »

try a small bit first, a new one if possible, then work up in size. before you start, take a center punch & make a punch mark right in the center. It may take a torch to get them out .
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:try a small bit first, a new one if possible, then work up in size. before you start, take a center punch & make a punch mark right in the center. It may take a torch to get them out .
he just told you the best way and possiblely the only way...............good luck POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Find a set of cobalt bits as some of the cheap bits don't work all that well and won't an edge for long. Melt some wax into the threads and add some heat. that might make it easier to drill and to get the broken studs out with a good set of ezouts.

if there were enough stud left sticking out you could also try welding a bolt to the stud. I've done that thiugh never on a headbolt.
Ron

Matty

Post by Matty »

The way we do it is by spraying some pent oil (kroil, pb) into the bolt. Heat the bolt until the fluid begins to boil and remove with a ez out, left handed drill bit, or weld a new nut onto the ones that have shoulder sticking out.

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks for the replies. After battling for the better part of a day yesterday, I found a local machine shop that will do a valve job and remove the bolts for $175.They will sleeve the holes if necessary. I think I'm going that route. It will freshen up the head also. I will also get the head milled .030 to make up for the thicker after-market gasket. This motor only has 38k on it, and the bottom end looks Ok.

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

Comechero65 wrote:Find a set of cobalt bits as some of the cheap bits don't work all that well and won't an edge for long. Melt some wax into the threads and add some heat. that might make it easier to drill and to get the broken studs out with a good set of ezouts.

if there were enough stud left sticking out you could also try welding a bolt to the stud. I've done that thiugh never on a headbolt.
Ron
Cobalt bits are seriously the only thing to use for this type of thing.

I tried the reverse bits from the auto parts stores and they didn't work at all. Spent nearly 2 hours drilling at a bolt in my transmission pan to no avail. Went to home depot and bought a cobalt bit, took out the bolt within a minute of drilling.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

ants875

Post by ants875 »

The best way I have found it to weld a washer to the bolt then a nut to that and they come out usually takes a few tried but does work. One thing to be car full of is breaking a drill bit ot an easy out they are almost impossible to drill.

Ant