144 is Back Baby!

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Adams

144 is Back Baby!

Post by Adams »

Ok, Pops, I'm ready for 100 lashes with a wet noodle...after having too much trouble with my 200 (bad rings, glazed cylinders, blowing oil), I reinstalled the 144--freshened up with a valve job, new gaskets, timing set, big exhaust manifold, and water pump. It's not a 200, but about as peppy as a 144 can get, and it's the smoothest-running sewing machine you can imagine! I'll post some pics of the operation when I get onto my laptop. Did the whole thing by myself in one day!

comethead

Re: 144 is Back Baby!

Post by comethead »

Awesome right on!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Adams wrote:Ok, Pops, I'm ready for 100 lashes with a wet noodle...after having too much trouble with my 200 (bad rings, glazed cylinders, blowing oil), I reinstalled the 144--freshened up with a valve job, new gaskets, timing set, big exhaust manifold, and water pump. It's not a 200, but about as peppy as a 144 can get, and it's the smoothest-running sewing machine you can imagine! I'll post some pics of the operation when I get onto my laptop. Did the whole thing by myself in one day!
that's what this is about ,my friend....making yourself happy !! was your short block in good shape?? in some cases a new fresh valve job will knock out a high mileage set of rings,,,those are sweet runnin little engines,tho....as far the 100 lashes,,just pat yourself 100 times on the back from OL POP,cause I like to hear guys say...hey I did it myself !!....take care of it and you'll have a blast with it 8) OL POP is happy for YA !!good luck and enjoy the drive !!
pop/glenda

Adams

Post by Adams »

Thanks for the support--my son and I were out running errands in it today--lots of compliments and smiling faces. As far as the valve job, the motor only had 38k original miles, and didn't use any oil, so hopefully I'm safe with that.