170 6cyl Advice - 1962 Comet Custom

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Schooley

170 6cyl Advice - 1962 Comet Custom

Post by Schooley »

My 1962 Comet Custom project is moving along nicely ... by this Thanksgiving, the engine and transmission will be out of the car, and paint preparation of the engine bay will begin. While this takes place, the students, here at the trade school where I work, are going to break down and rebuild the 170 6cyl engine and transmission. Everything is looking good so far, other than the cracked exhaust manifold. I've purchased a new production exhaust manifold to match the old one, and all new plugs, wires, and distributor cap and internals. I am looking for advice on two things.

1:
What can I do performance-wise to this motor, that won't change the overall original stock look and feel, but will give me a little better than 100hp and reliability.

2:
What parts would you recommend swapping out to new while the engine is out of the car?
I've already purchased the gasket and seal kit from Mac's, and I've considered replacing the timing chain, water pump, starter, and distributor ...

Thanks!
Schooley's project: Restoring a 1962 4-door Comet custom.

Schooley

Re: 170 6cyl Advice - 1962 Comet Custom

Post by Schooley »

Sorry, accidentally posted this in V8 and not 6cyl ... Little help from an admin? :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Schooley wrote:What can I do performance-wise to this motor, that won't change the overall original stock look and feel, but will give me a little better than 100hp and reliability.
Cam maybe, if you hadn't already got it a later exhaust manifold (they had a larger pipe), you could try larger valves or a later head with larger valves, and you could go with the larger bore carb as well, while this stuff is a little different than stock no one would notice them.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Schooley

Post by Schooley »

Thanks, Mike

https://fordsix.com/archive/www.classic ... ml?cat=148
Has some bolt on packages I've been looking into. I think I would need to go with the top option, the Bolt-On Performance Package (with DSII) deal for $875.00, because I would have an early 170 6cyl. Correct?
This deal seems to have everything you mentioned. What do you think?

Also, is there anyway you could move this post to the Small 6 section in the forums, and out of the V8 section? Thanks!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Schooley wrote:Also, is there anyway you could move this post to the Small 6 section in the forums, and out of the V8 section? Thanks!
It is moved.

See ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

You can't order from that website as far as I know the guy who owned it died and they have sold all the parts that were left.

Someone else was taking over and here is the link to the site but currently I get nothing but a blank page, not sure what that means.

http://www.vintageinlines.com

Check eBay as well there is a stainless header listed on there for the small six. Everything will work between engines except the distributor, you will have to have one for the early 170 because the oil pump shaft is a different size, I think those are on eBay as well but I can't swear too it, Summit might have them as well they have a few small Ford Six parts.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Schooley

Post by Schooley »

Okay, thanks!

BJB

Post by BJB »

On another US Falcon forum I stalk one gent always recommends that you increase the compression ratio . That will give you more HP and retain the stock look.

Electronic ignition for a hotter spark.

Possibly a later model head ,with larger valves, the bumped up CR and perhaps a balanced and blue printed engine will give you some extra oomph...
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

The reason I am going with a 200-6 and replacing my 170-6; 30 more cubes, physically looks the same, 7 main bearings vs. 4 main bearings, and everything trades around between the two engines except the distributor (as I noted earlier), the crank shaft and pistons.

You can swap heads between them, headers and manifolds interchange, cam shafts are the same, water pumps, timing gears and chains, valve train, and oil pans, etc. Flywheels will swap over from the 170 to the 200 but not necessarily the other way around (post '66 200 can use either clutch/flywheel combination. exception would be the '80s model 200 with the low mount starter).

So hopefully that helps you with some of the stuff that you can do and it look correct still, basically the 200 will sit right in place of the 170, they are physically the same size.

That being said, the 170 is a really good engine and most people would have a hard time breaking them unless they really abused them.

I just wish I could get my hands on some of the inline six stuff from BJB's part of the world :P even though I understand it is getting rare even down there now days.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

BJB

Post by BJB »

lavron wrote:
I just wish I could get my hands on some of the inline six stuff from BJB's part of the world :P even though I understand it is getting rare even down there now days.
Mike, I'm going to be replacing my 200 down the track with a 250 from a '71/'72 Falcon . My 200 had been fitted with a 2V head by the 2nd owner, so that head will find its way onto the 250. I'm aware that the 250 is taller, longer than the 200 but with some cosmetic changes it does look stock ish :mrgreen:

..and you're right, our supply of the old log head engines are drying up but fortunately the later ones can be shoe horned in... the 6 lives. :D

Bruce
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Adams

Post by Adams »

You sound like you've taken the same approach I did with my '62 144. While pulled, I had a nice valve job done with new (larger) valve stems rather that getting the guides sleeved. I also had the head milled a bit. Remember, you'll want to mill about .025 just to compensate for the thicker aftermarket head gasket, if you are replacing the original metal one. I also replaced the timing set and all accessories, and installed a new seal/gasket kit for everything on the motor. Performance is solid. I also replaced a cracked manifold, but used the 'larger' version with the tapered outlet (donut gasket). I think just the milling and the better, bigger exhaust helped. Chris