64 170 in a 62 Comet

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
popscomet

Re: 64 170 in a 62 Comet

Post by popscomet »

Mismatch parts are OK as long as it works !! BUT ,with a dist.that old,pop the cap and wires off and grab hold of end of shaft and see how much slack you have in the bushings,if to much,you'll have a hard time keeping the DWELL on the points set correct,,(dwell is the gap),YOU can set the points according ly...if theres not much slack.After you get it running and startin off the key like you want it to,but it seems to never start and run the same all the time everytime,start checking the gap (points).if the setting is always different ,,that tells you to much wear in bushings and or shaft........OR the hold down screws on the points were not tight 'nuff or screw hole(s) are stripped out,,,AM mentioning this ,Cause I've been there :!: think you said the rotor button was a sloppy fit,,,,,,on some dist's,a small spring clip will be slid on the end ,this takes up slack in the R.button or your R button may be so old it's kinda got some xtra wear in the hole,,,,,any thing else I think of that might be of some help or of some interest to you,,,,,,I'll post it to you :roll: :!: pop :D :) :shock: put some grease(a wee wee wee bit)on the shaft where the points ride againest it,just a fine film......
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

It has been an extremely long time but I got her running. I rebuilt the wiring harness (took it out of the car and re-soldered everything properly), replaced points with a Pertonix Ignitor II and now she runs smooth. A little hard starting in the heat but after a few it's golden.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Jeffreyscott wrote:It has been an extremely long time but I got her running. I rebuilt the wiring harness (took it out of the car and re-soldered everything properly), replaced points with a Pertonix Ignitor II and now she runs smooth. A little hard starting in the heat but after a few it's golden.
That was a long journey. Glad to hear it worked out!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry