64 170 in a 62 Comet

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Jeffreyscott

Re: 64 170 in a 62 Comet

Post by Jeffreyscott »

I'll be messing with the dizzy tonight. I took it out and reset it at top of #1 compression yesterday, but I need t charge the battery up to try it again.

Also noticed that the auto-choke had a broken piece. No wonder the idle speed/stop screw weren't doing jack for me! Thinking of replacing the carb with an autolite 1100.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Thought carb was new rebuilt ! but any way get timeing right correct carb and it ought to kick off so fast ,it'll make you jump back-wards.....another thing ,have you poured or pumped so much gas in it that the plugs might be drowned(as in FOWLED out )??? food for thought ,my friend)))take care best of luck..don't give up...WE AIN'T!! :roll: pop :shock: :D
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Plugs are fouled. Carb is new but the guy who replaced it before i got it was on meth so

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OH LORD---feel for ya tryig to follow behind a pure as- clown as that....best of luck :shock: pop 8) :D
pop/glenda

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

I could tell you stories about the interesting stuffing found in my VW.. still finding truth be told..

I'm always a little concerned driving it thru the checkpoints coming up from San Diego..lol Just waiting for a dog to go nuts around it..lol
'63 Comet Hardtop

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Well no luck today. Replaced the points and condenser. Cleaned the fouled spark plugs, reset the distributor again, replaced old gaskets for the carb and the carb spacer. Had the battery tested and charged. Turns over great but will not start. I even rewired the distributor cap backwards just to make sure i didn't have the distributor 180 out. Still the same results. I don't know what else it could be. Going to try setting the distributor again in the morning.

In the last 6 years working on old cars, I have NEVER been able to get them running. Always had to take it to a shop. I refuse to do that this time. Going to spend as little money as possible and get it going myself.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IF you got dist 180 out,rewireing ain't gonna help!pull no1 plug turn motor over ( by hand or remote starter button)till piston is at top,poke screw driver in,,it won't go in very far if piston is at top,,then look at your timing marks on front of motor,they ought to be lined up,pop dist cap,rotor should be pointed to no1 plug wire,providing you have it wired right. heres the fireing order 1-5-3-6-2-4.the piston close to the fan is no1.if you was to pull vavle cover,you would find both valves closed.If rotor isn't pointed to 1,then pull dist out and re stab until it is.wire with rotation of rotor.If you don't know rotation,remove dist cap crank motor and watch the way it turns(clock wise or counter).All this is depens ontiming gear and or chain is good.now setting points...are you for sure of your method,you have to turn motor over which in turn spins dist shaft until the points are stopped on the CAM ,then you adjust.don't forget --put the ground wire 1 screw on the points that hold them to the breaker plate.the insulated wire goes with the condesner wire on the side of points 5/16 open end wrench fits the tiny nut.If by chance you miss stabbing DIST and you crank over the motor,then you HAVE TO start over from the git go.You do all this ,even with thr wrong CARB it ought to start,may not run the best,but it should start,You set and do everything as posted and still is a no start after cranking ,check rotor pointing to NO1 again if its off,,chances are gear or timing chain has slipped,and thats a nother story. don't take ANY short cuts,ain't none ! you can put your finger over plug hole,then bump-bump-bump starter button until compression blows fingerout,then look at timing marks or see if both valves are closed,if not now your 180 out ..start over :roll: :shock: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ONE more thing,,,,when you crank engine over while having a full charged battery,,does it sound like it has compression or does it spin like a button on a s--t house door ?? PAY attention to it .......it may have jumped time ...good luck ! we'll get it :D pop :shock: :roll:
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Once again dropped the distributor in. I got it perfect this time. #1 on compression stroke (blew my finger right out of the hole) and TDC was lined up to the timing mark on the pulley. The engine does sound like it's getting compression, it's no longer backfiring through the carb either. Still won't fire. I am beginning to think it is the carb. Last year I got the car to fire up but once the throttle would open it would shut off. Since getting the carb mounted properly It hasn't started. Nothing had changed in that time. I had already replaced the plugs and gotten new gaskets. Ever since it just turns over.

The carb is very leaky too for being a reman. I'm not sure where the old owner got the carb but I'm assuming a chain parts store. The SVC is also missing that little metal cover with the holes in it and the auto choke is broken. Gonna replace with a 1100 a buddy has and pray.

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Wiring mayhem.

I want to make sure things are right before I mess with them. RIght now, the coil + is hooked up to the distributor and the negative runs to a kill switch inside the car. Is that correct? Also my ignition switch has 4 terminals. ACC, GRND, BATT, IGN. Everything is connected except there is nothing connection to IGN. If I were to take off the kill switch would the coil wire go straight to IGN?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DIST wire goes to - side of coil....+ side gets wire hot when key on,,,,,+ =bat,,,- =dist,this may be the key to your whole headache, not wired right,,,take remote kill switch off,but before you do ,notice if wire is factory IGN WIRE,this meth head might be smarter then we think!!(but not much)reason being--had ign wire (resistor wire) on 71 bronco go bad took a piece of tail lite wire and wired aruond in the witing harness,but to keep from burning points up I installed a small ballist resistor,so your ign wire might be bad,reason for him doing remote kill switch thing or he might have been trying to keep another meth head from stealing it....don't loose faith,when my mind goes blank,,I;ll tell ya and you can call 911 or look in the yellow pages,for some real help... :shock: :roll: :oops: :P pop
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

The wire from kill switch to coil was original....half of the way through it haha. A thick yellow wire spliced to a green wire to coil. IT's a mess under the dash.

There is another thick yellow wire spliced into a thick red wire plugged onto the ignition switch ACC port. Also another black wire that i can't follow to an end on ACC as well. Wire to batt and wire to the grnd. Sometimes I wish I had car people around me willing to help out.

I appreciate all the help pops!!! More than you know. You say +=battery, then what connects to IGN?

More bugs. Green wire underdash unconnected/bare wire. Spliced into blue wire. Blue wire runs to plug on alternator (gen to alt conversion, who knows if it's right). Now i need to figure out where this wire goes in the car. Keep in mind this is in an internally regulated alternator.

EDIT. Ok i'm assuming the green wire is just the connector to the indicator light.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

With the coil and DIST wired correct,and your still stumping your toes,,,HOT WIRE it !Take a piece of tail lite wire,,attach one end to + batt side of coil,other end goes to+pos post on batt,,,take screw dr and short across starter sol switch on inner fender( or use remote st button) this way your going around key switch,this is how you would steal it,if you had a mind to..disconnect wire from BATT to kill it,,by starting it this way, nothing else comes on no gauges no heater blower no nothing other then head and tail lites and thats because thier on a circute completly by thier self.this way you can get it running ,then worry about other stuff like the kill switch or a bad key switch,later .( this act reminds me of much younger days lol) :shock: :roll: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MAN, I can't sit here and tell you how someone took different colors of wire ,started cutting and spliceing and to what they go to . you may have to find a picture or a manual, pop joined up to help get it started.with out a hands on approace and being able to be there and to see where all the odd color wires go to ...its kinda like YOU calling a doctor on the phone and telling him HEY,I don't feel good,,,,WHY?? I hate it but thats almost impossible to do long distance,,car came with a gen,and I have no way of telling which wire was cut and where it was routed to..so your help on all this wiring will be most likely ,some one local so they can see it......But pop is still hanging around the batters box waiting to get it started !! good luck :roll: :shock: :D pop
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Thank you once again. I'm pretty good with wiring it's just the actual getting it to run part I always fail haha. Getting the battery charged and HOPE i have it running by 8 tonight.

Once again.Nothing. Charged the battery got a remote starter, hot wired the car. It just turns and turns. I've reset the dizzy at least 4 times now. Very frustrating.