64 170 in a 62 Comet

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Jeffreyscott

Re: 64 170 in a 62 Comet

Post by Jeffreyscott »

That might be the issue. It's been plugged to vacuum since I got the car. Going to disconnect it and check. So the choke port is supposed to have nothing connected to it?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

A heat tube is what hooks to it...when cold the spring draws up,causing butter-fly to close,,,heat coming thru tube from intake manifold,heats spring,causing it to exspand ,,opens butter-fly,,,,,thats how it is set up to work...but if parts are missing or broke on your carb,it ain't do it properly :!: that lean/rich setting is how you adjust how long it takes for the butter-fly to start to open...rich =spring (cold)is wound tighter,there fore takes more heat and longer for it to unwind and open butterfly,while lean setting is just the oppist. :D
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Found what I need.

"64-69 Choke Tube Set, Stainless Steel, 170, 200"

Going to try to make my own and save some cash. Thanks again pop!

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

One day in the rain and now the car won't fire again. Nothing changed since I got it running.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

well at least you know how to check all the main stuff now, Pop has got you trained pretty good! fire, gas & air, timed. Did you tighten the dist.? it could have moved if you left it loose. If you leave the key on (with out motor running ) a long time, the points could have stuck. I use to carry a book of matches. use the striker to clean points, & the thickness of the book to set them, it'll get ya home. keep an eye on the fuel filters. I like a see-thru filter before the fuel pump. did you change that base gasket that was leaking? after you get all the vacume leaks fixed you'll have to reset the carb.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

good stuff from POBOYJO65.!If you find your points burnt and everything is off,as you remove neg battery cable,check to see if you see or hear a tiny spark :!: make sure doors are shut(no dome lite) if you do(you may have to do this in the dark) then you have a draw on the battery,and the 1st place I'd check is all wireing done by the meth head! and by chance you do have this small draw,start disconnecting the battery when your done working on it,,(every time).OUT of allthe fords I've owned(many,,still do) a 55 and a 65 would give me a fit in cold wet damp weather,if i drove the 55 thru a puddle of frog piss in the middle of the road,it 'd go to missing and come down with a bad case of the hic-cups for the next 3 miles or so,(never did fix it),on the 65 I was forever having to dry out dist cap,,thats all...so check be hind your self and make sure carb has not leaked gas and got it flooded plum to death and by now you should know what to check to get her sparking again. sometimes a set of points will show to be fireing,but after getting hot and crystalizing they need to be replaced. good luck and you know if you need help ......post it :!: :roll: :shock: pop :) :D
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

the distributor was tightened. I am doing the exhaust gasket tonight. I will check the points. Thanks

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Are you useing a feeler gauge to set points ? OR what ? ROY ,posted 16 k for points and 32 k for plugs...and I agree with him,,,been meaning to mention this but forgetten to,,,I think your setting is too much(27/35),,,make sure you stop points in the open position to check or re-set,,also check for naked or bad shape in insulation in dist wire(or broke some where in insulation) had this very thing happen to me on a v8 ford back in the 60's,it start then it not start,driving along it die ,,you get the pictue !!! Now I got one more thing to mention, This happen to me LAST year ,,,was driving along in my 77 302 Bronco,,started missing popping back fired and blew the muffler out and died,,,pulled it home and stood there picking my butt and my nose...(well,you know what I'm saying),,played it back thru my mind and put another coil wire from coil to dist cap,,boom started right up and has never missed a beat since,,,,,reason for telling this story IS...what kind of shape do you think yours are in ? mine looked good and clean,,so thats some food for thought,theres no telling how old your wires are unless you just happen to know for sure.....later...pop :shock:
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

I am using a feeler gauge from Oreilly to set. Points set at .026 and plugs are at .035. Checking wires etc right now.

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Ok the point wasnt getting spark and the distributor to coil - wire was very loosely connected. Hoping once I fix that it runs.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FRIEND,,,set those points at 16 or so,plugs can stay as are for now......in all my dealings with points,,I always used A RULE of THUMB...point gap will be half of plug gap or so close it ain't funny and the feeler gauge is just fine..if points are new then a loose drag on the gauge blade,,,if they show wear..a tight 16,,,,good luck...any time you get fed up with ME telling you what to do ,,,speak out!! I'll back off...you not gonna hurt my feelings at all :shock: pop good luck
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

I've just been going by the points from the manual. Thats what it called for and it ran. I think my issue is the dizzy to coil wire. Need to try and re-crimp the connector. I appreciate all the help.

EDIT***** replacing coil in the morning. If I don't get it started, I'll reply here :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Wait a minute :!: friday the 24 at 4:16pm.you posted you changed coil ,the other had a small crack,now,your changeing it again :?: what gives :?: the BEACH BOYS came out with a song describeing what I'm getting+++++BAD VIBRATIONs====pops out of here :!: :?
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Well i wasn't getting any spark at the points in the dizzy so I'm returning the coil (1 year warranty) and to see if it's that or if it's b/c the hackjob wiring.

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

I need to replace (well actually PUT IN) a resistor wire to the coil/ignition. Can I just use a ballast resistor and mount it to the firewall? What would be easier?

EDIT******

Well im gonna slow down on things. Bills coming up in a few days. The coil was bad I am assuming due to wiring. Also found out the ignition switch is some janky universal item so I am getting a replacement (correct) ignition switch and the wiring pigtail. I'll hop back on here in about a week or so with updates. I'm going to take my time to rewire the under-dash setup.