64 170 in a 62 Comet

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Jeffreyscott

Re: 64 170 in a 62 Comet

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Ok a quick question for ya pops!

I've got the wiring diagram for my setup. From IGN on my switch I have a red/green wire then a breaker followed by the pink resistor wire. Is that breaker a ignition coil resistor? If I ran a wire from IGN to http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0186317878 then from that to the pink wire, would that be correct?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

why are you putting this resistor on ?what makes you think it needs it? :?: :roll: pop
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Since the original resistor wire (pink) was cut, wouldn't it be necessary?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ok...its been cut and another piece has been spliced to it ,correct?? if so yes,put the resistor in,if you can at the splice,and it can be mounted on firewall (best place) or any where it interfer with nothing else pop have you ever got it to restart?
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

I haven't touched the car since my last posts about the coil. I'm gonna be working on it Sunday. I want to get the wiring correct before I try getting it running again.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

You may be better off not useing any of the resistor wire that is left (orignal)replace all of it ,while still useing the small ballist resistor,thats what I did on my 71 bronco . :roll: pop
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Sunday is the big day. I cleaned up a lot of the wiring and ALL of the original wires were spliced etc...Going to be using normal auto wire (can't color code it) so I am going to be making tags out of electrical tape with the wires function and going through one by one. Will take some time but I have this. Also going to solder to make a good connection instead of cut/wrap/tape.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

You got the right IDEA !! solder is the way to do it ,,this is going to be a job in it self,so do it right the 1st time,and you should never have to do it again,,always think------would I pay some one to do the way I did it??? that 71 bronco was done over 25 or so yrs ago,it's still good today,cause it was done correct to start with,,,so best of luck to you.....one other thing....when I work on rewiring ,,I take the battery out :!: in its place I hook a battery charger up to my cables,,this way if you happen to ground something..you won't blow a fuse or make a big spark nor get a wire hot,,instead you'll just trip the reset mode on the charger,give it a couple of sec's,CLICK,its back on :D pop :shock: :roll:
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Taking your idea pops. I got out a little bit tonight and untangled the mess. Removing the headlight switch in the morning to check all the wiring/fuses. One thing I noticed is I do not have a neutral safety switch. Where it mounts is empty :roll: ....No local stores carry it so I have to go through online. Also replacing the universal ignition switch on Sunday. By Sunday night I should have it running and tuned in then during the week I can get the NSS installed.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

with out a nss ,you have to jump the wires together that plug into the harness on the nss,,,if not it won't crank over from key switch( unless the meth head has all ready done it) so when you get the correct NSS either look for a mating plug or the same color of wires tied together,that are on the nss,this nss has a (best I recall)10/12 in harness on it. :roll: pop Refresh my memory, :!: does NSS mount under hood on shifting linkage or on side of transmission,AM thinking on linkage ,which trans do you have?
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Mine mounts on top of the steering column. It's a 2spd auto is all I know with a column shifter.

Also, yea the wires were jumped together. I just want the wiring as clean and STOCK as humanly possible.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Sure thing....clean / stock==dependable :!: LATER--- :shock: pop :D :roll:
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Ignition is all wired for now (minus the switch). Tuesday It comes in and I should be golden. Everything is routed correctly and thankfully the pink wire was only cut from the ignition switch, not spliced anywhere, so I only lost about 5/16" of the wire.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IT appears your on the right track....you may not have to install thr resistor after all :!: so good luck and take care...pop :D :shock:
pop/glenda

Jeffreyscott

Post by Jeffreyscott »

Replaced coil and tested out a hotwire (only a few moments this time) and Frankenstein lives!

All the parts are mismatched years and I love it. Just found the Distributor is from a 1960 144.