Radiator Replacement

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
allhans

Radiator Replacement

Post by allhans »

My 64 Comet radiator is shot. Running a 200ci.

I am looking at a new aluminum radiator -- single row. (http://www.sillaauto.com/product/lookup ... atID=22399)

Will that give me enough cooling?
1964 Comet 202 2-dr Sedan

Tristan

Re: Radiator Replacement

Post by Tristan »

I don't see why it wouldn't. It appears to have the OEM dimensions so I think that you would be fine. I've got an aftermarket one that looks similar, its just black and it does fine in the Southern heat. At the car was purchased in Florida and they claimed no issues either.
ImageImage

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

Probably better than any old clogged copper brass unit, while your at it replace all the components ie hoses t-stat, etc. Does it have a proper shroud?, and is the fan spaced correctly? hows the pump? all that combined will greatly influence your system.i had overheating issues and even had to advance my timing, and get a spacer for my carb before all my issues went away. Now i can drive in 110 degree heat, and stay under 205 degrees. hope that helps.GK
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

allhans

Post by allhans »

UPDATE:
I installed the new radiator today. Went with an aluminum Silla Model 0251AA, single core.

I was a little worried going from a 2 core to a single core, but not any more. The tubes in the aluminum are huge in comparison to the original -- they look to be one inch.

New radiator was just a bit larger. Had to leave the shroud off and getting the fan back on was a chore.

Works great and works better than the original.
1964 Comet 202 2-dr Sedan