Vacuum gauge hook up for the 200

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
Tristan

Vacuum gauge hook up for the 200

Post by Tristan »

Hey guys, where can I attach the line for a vacuum gauge on the 200? I'm looking and feeling lost. Thanks!

1964Comet404
Location: upstate, ny - owego (not to be confused with "oswego")

Re: Vacuum gauge hook up for the 200

Post by 1964Comet404 »

Tristan wrote:Hey guys, where can I attach the line for a vacuum gauge on the 200? I'm looking and feeling lost. Thanks!
I just happen to be doing one too. I have a '64 Comet with the 200. I was thinking about mounting mine near the top center of the Fire Wall. There's a wire harness going along the top of the fire wall and I'll mount it beneath that. I'm going to make a bracket for it. I also have a "Mile-O-Meter" from 1951 that I'm going to mount on the dash. It's real cool! It operates by vacuum and has guages on the front for MPG, and Engine performance... got it on Ebay, brand new in the box. As you drive, it shows you how efficient your driving is. You have to keep it in the Green for best MPG. On my car the vacuum line comes out of the carb and goes to the brake booster... or vice versa...

have fun!

john b.
john v. b.

"If it aint' broke... Drive It!" ~ me

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

That mile-o-meter gauge sounds neat. I haven't seen one at any car show I've been to. I drove a uhaul truck that had one installed but it was hard to keep it in the green!
Show us some pic's when you get it installed.

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

John B.,

Any luck installing that economy gauge?

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I still haven't figured up where to hook up my vacuum gauge.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Tristan,

Do you mean where to install the vacuum pickup end or where to mount the gauge (to the dash or firewall)?

There should be a port somewhere on the intake manifold for connection of the vacuum. If you have an auto trans, follow the vacuum line from the trans to the engine. If you have power brakes, there should be an extra port on the brake booster and the other end of that would also go to the same spot on the intake as the Auto trans line. If you have neither, there should still be a port somewhere on the intake, but it may just have a plug in it. If you only have one (auto trans or power brakes) then the port on the intake manifold may not have an "extra" port so you may have to buy a brass splitter.

If you mean where to mount it... wherever you'd like ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Yeah, my problem has been no extra port and I'm not sure where to put the T fitting at.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I remembered this question the other day at a buddy's shop ,and he has a 6cyl at 2drht 64comet sitting in the weeds,so I took a look-see and the only place I can come with is to tee off the intake manifold where the vacumn screws into it ,for the MODULATOR valve going back to the tranny. pop
pop/glenda

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Cool thanks Pop! :D

1964Comet404

Post by 1964Comet404 »

I've got a gauge under the hood mounted center top of the firewall, tapping into the vacuum line that goes to the brake booster, which I believe is a 3/8" hose. That way I can see it at any time when I'm working on the engine. It's too small, and the lens is plastic, so I've got a new, larger, vintage guage, with a glass lens to mount in it's place so I'll take some pics when I'm done. I've got another guage that I'll be mounting inside the cockpit and I'll probably Tap off the same hose. I believe you can tap into any hose that comes off of manifold vacuum. vacuum should be consistent throughout the vac-system. On my L6 there's not many choices.
john v. b.

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

1964Comet404

Post by 1964Comet404 »

MattDoscher wrote:That mile-o-meter gauge sounds neat. I haven't seen one at any car show I've been to. I drove a uhaul truck that had one installed but it was hard to keep it in the green!
Show us some pic's when you get it installed.

Matt
Hi Matt! You can find them on Ebay. I found mine there, new/old in the box complete, and I think I paid less than 20 bucks for it. Be patient and get a great deal. When I mount it I'll post some pics.

ps. for some reason i'm not getting notifications from this board. i don't know why (?!).
john v. b.

1964Comet404

Post by 1964Comet404 »

MattDoscher wrote:John B.,

Any luck installing that economy gauge?

Matt
Right now i've replaced my carburetor and I'm learning the fine art of carb tuning and will be installing that mile-o-meter shortly... I'll post some pics when I'm done of it and the one I mount under the hood... that one's pretty cool too!

i still ain't getting notifications...
john v. b.