64 Comet Need Flat Rubber Washer Transmission Mount Auto L6

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
1964Comet404
Location: upstate, ny - owego (not to be confused with "oswego")

64 Comet Need Flat Rubber Washer Transmission Mount Auto L6

Post by 1964Comet404 »

Good Day All! I hope you're enjoying a pleasant one.

I have a 1964 Mercury Comet 404, 4 Door Sedan, L6/200, 2 Speed Automatic. I am looking for the "Flat Rubber Washer" For the Rear Engine Support / aka: Motor Mount / aka: Rear Transimission Mount...

Where can I find the "Rear Engine Support Flat Rubber Washer" (as per the Shop Manual Pg. 8-25) ? (...it's not the big fat donut bushing)

At Autoparts stores online the Assembly is often referred to as: "Rear Transmission Lower Mount With Cantilever"

Any information will be enthusiastically appreciated.

http://wikisend.com/download/616260/Eng ... upport.jpg
john v. b.

"If it aint' broke... Drive It!" ~ me

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Groover

Re: 64 Comet Need Flat Rubber Washer Transmission Mount Auto L6

Post by Groover »

I think that one may be tough, which means Joe will find it in a second. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's fairly thin (less than 1/8 inch), maybe you could just cut it out of a piece of rubber?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

1964Comet404
Location: upstate, ny - owego (not to be confused with "oswego")

Post by 1964Comet404 »

Groover wrote:I think that one may be tough, which means Joe will find it in a second. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's fairly thin (less than 1/8 inch), maybe you could just cut it out of a piece of rubber?
Yep! ...it's Thin... I cleaned things off under there and felt around, and it was there! I can't see it just looking under the car and didn't know it was there till I felt around. I was going to make one, but I didn't know much about this mount. I was concerned about the big gap between the tranny and rubber washer & top of mount, but apparently that's normal. Not familiar with things, I thought it would be a good idea to get an original part, and I figured it probably wouldn't cost much. I couldn't find one, and thought as you suggested.

I also found this: (8) K & N 81-0161, RUBBER WASHER 5/16 HOLE SINGLE, http://www.jegs.com/i/K%26amp%3BN/599/81-0161/10002/-1 , $16.99/Free Ship

You can use them to take the squeaks out of your body bolts and whatever. I believe they come in a 1/4" size as well.

Thanks for Your Response and Assistance,

john b.
john v. b.

"If it aint' broke... Drive It!" ~ me

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Groover

Post by Groover »

Yep, that extra distance bothered me at first too, but that's the way it goes.

Here's mine (C4)

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...